• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pool decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be careful on your unlimited statements about working for the Reserves. After five years cumulative of military leave, your employer can let you go no questions asked.

More correct statement would be unlimited up to five years total time away from the employer!!!!!!!!!!

Shootr,

Taking the orders is the conservative, safe move for you and your family BUT, you risk something no matter what.

I'm sure you realize the risk of taking orders is that SWA hires during your year on active duty and then hiring stops once again when you become available. So, it may not just be a matter of seniority but of being hired altogether or for another unknown wait (there is no guarantee that SWA will be hiring in 2005). I'll concede that the chances of this happening are low but with possible retirement age changes and the myriad of other unknows internal and external to SWA one year out... anything is possible.

With 3 kids and a 4th on the way me thinks you probably already have benefits through your wife or somewhere else. If this is the case or you could find reasonable benefits elsewhere, I'd STAY AVAILABLE AND KEEP BUMMING. There is a LOT to be said for being available; there are a few folks here that would have jobs right now had they been available when classes were offered - instead they wait and wait like many here. Again, if you truly are making a good living bumming, as you say you are, and SWA is your dream job... I'd stay the course and STAY AVAILABLE.

If you need the benefits than that would be a GOOD reason to activate but I certainly don't think the pay and retirement points outweigh BEING AVAILABLE.

Just wanted to speak on the flip side... not that you haven't had this running through your head for weeks already. '

Good luck with your tough decision!!

Last edited:
Shootr-
Good to hear we helped with your decision. Being 150 on the list believe me the wife is always asking when I will "get a real job" while I wait for SWA. She compares me to "Jefferson" on Married with Children living off of her - but depending on how much your reserve unit lets you fly (VP-94 lets me fly a lot) you may be able to make enough $ to get by until SWA calls - however the 1 yr Active Duty orders is a SURE THING. Good luck whichever way you choose.

Les

Shootr-

NOTHING in life is certain-

Just make the best desicion for you and your family and DON'T second guess yourself latter. No one can predict the future. My only advise is to look in on your kids each night before you go to sleep. You never know if you'll be around to enjoy them another day. So who gives a Rats A$$ if one guy is more or less junior to you, or if in the end you made the right decision. Just do your best and try to enjoy life while you can. Atleast we still HAVE choices, eh?

Cheers

Good choice, dude...it's not like you'll be losing widebody time down the road or losing money that could be in an A or B fund...

Flint4xx:

Now that's more like it! Let's hope that chief pilot doesn't moonlight as a politician inside the "beltway." We all know what it means when those guys' lips are moving.

Cheers,
RightBettor

Shootr,

Good call taking the year with the Reserves. The latest word I heard last trip was that it will take all of '03 and a good part of '04 to bring the current poolies on board. That jives well with the 360 number and the "200 in '03" comment above, also. In the best possible case (i.e. most rapid hiring), not being available until Dec '03 might cost you a couple of classes. In a more middle of the road case, you probably lose nothing. If hiring goes slow, same deal. Reading just the initial post, it looked like a clear answer. If you were 100 higher in the pool, then it would be an entirely different situation.

For those who are interested, the "...and a good part of '04" comment came from an FO whose buddy did pilot interviews; seems the FO I chatted with and his buddy were shooting the breeze with some folks in the People Department and that factoid came up. So, yeah, this is 4th hand info, take it for what it's worth. But I have no reason to doubt its accuracy.

All the best to all the poolies!

Snoopy

Latest resources

Back