• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Point System?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is a furloughed ual cpt more qualified than a typed commuter or mil. pilot?

Will they both be looked at equally by SWA? How qualified can someone be? And when do you become "overqualified", or perhaps have too much baggage to be a good employee?

Just curious.

Aircraft Flown question

In the Aircraft Flown section they want to know the highest position held for each aircraft. In the pull-down menu there is a choice for Instructor Pilot and another for Evaluator Pilot. What is the definition of Evaluator Pilot? Is this like a Stan Checker/Check Airman (ie Instructor of instructors)

Pilotbob3 said:
gee shroth...is there a box on the app to state that SWA was where you wanted to work since you were born? LOL

yes, a furloughee who has UA/US/etc furlough should be hired before you with all other things being equal.

you don't think a type rated 737 UA pilot is more qualified than you with all other things being equal?

Bob, Unless SWA has changed it's criteria in the latest hiring revamp, I would say that they place a lot of weight on committment to SWA. In that sense, a pilot who acquired his own type rating specifically for the opportunity to interview with SWA IS more SWA qualified than someone who dreamed of flying whales for United, and only attempts to get on with SWA after getting furloughed by UAL.

regards,
enigma

SFR, Consider this:

Perhaps some of those furloughed folks always wanted to fly for SWA since they were pups also, but couldn't swing the dough for the type rating or maybe even interviewed but weren't hired by SWA. Do you think that they should have priority over you because they applied way back when, but SWA turned them down, or they were hired somewhere else first?

The shoe is kind of on the other foot now, isn't it.

EVERYBODY who interviews at SWA is going to say that they ALWAYS wanted to fly for SWA and would give their first born to get an offer there. Welcome to the club.

Its good that you want to work at SWA and always have, but it doesn't make you any more QUALIFIED to work there, and I'm sure that when you do get hired that you will want to be flying with the best QUALIFIED pilots they could get, not just the first ones to apply.

I'll leave it in the capable hands of the People Department to decide who they think are the best QUALIFIED pilots to hire. You may want to tone down the aura of entitlement when you get your interview.

Best of luck to you.

FJ

Re: Spanky2

chase said:
I have flown with many Capts who were furloughed at one time or another & know of FOs who have been hired within the last 4 years who were furloughs/voluntarily left also.

I too have flown with a couple CA's that were furloughed from AA in the early '90s. Both were the type that belonged at SWA from the start. And both obviously decided to stay at SWA when they were called back. That seems to be the deciding factor for me. If you really want to switch Airlines then by all means apply today. If you just want somewhere to be before you get called back, leave that interview slot for someone who really want's to be at SWA. I wrote a LOR for a former CA of mine who is furloughed from United. He told me that even if he were called back he is done with that operation.

Falconjet:

If SWA ever told me to give my first born for a job there, I would laugh in their face and walk out of the room. I hope everyone else would too.

You people act as if these companies are your direct path to success. Just remember all of those that got hired at UAL, DAL, etc back in 1999,2000... They too thought they were immortal. Now where are they.? I remember some of those folks getting the "you regional pilots suck" their last month at ASA before they went to DAL (and they were still regional pilots!!!). Their attitudes are 180 degrees different now!!

I have a more optimistic outlook for SWA!!!! for all of us!!

Another topic.....Qualified?? What does that mean???

Flight time??? With 20,000 hours and 747 type, you still can't get a free drink at Starbucks.

Personality, Sense of Humor, Morals, Motivational skills, etc are a lot more important than flight time!! Unfortunately there is no way to log that.

Good luck all, see you at SWA.

This is the most ridiculous thread I have seen in a while.

Who really knows why any airline hires anyone?

The ludicrous ends that people go to in an attempt to outwit the "People Department" is amazing. They have their methods - your not going to be able to second guess them, nor should you even try.

Remember when everyone was applying at the other majors? You never knew if you would ever be called for an interview - you just kept trying. So just put your stuff in, follow the gouge & hope for the best.

When you go to the interview make sure that your right shoe is untied. One lace should be hanging off to the left and measure exactly 3.875" in length. The other should be draped across the arch and just touch the front part of the shoe. This one has to be approximately 4" long. The little plastic things on the end of the laces need to have small cracks around the diameter 3 in number , .25mm in length and equally distributed at 120 degree intervals. All this indicates that you can follow directions and tolerate something other than perfection. Note: make sure that it is not the left shoe.

I am toying with re-applying with the good ol' WN (for the third time). Will I get an interview? Who knows. Will I successfully accomplish an interview? Probably not. WN will probably ask me questions off the 8 year old intial application, after all that's what they did last time. When I get rejected again am I going to get upset? Nope. I am just doing my d*mnest to honestly & forthrightly acquire employment with a good company.

Do I truly, sincerely, humbly, desire employment with WN? Wholeheartedly yes. Do I want to get married to the company? Nope, a working relationship would be sufficent. If WN did hire me (highly unlikely) they will get a hard working, loyal, personable (with a sense of humour), optomistic and dedicated employee. What they won't get is a koolaid drinking brown nose.

Anyone who tries to tell me that they became a pilot so that they could work for WN is full of...

For those that get/got hired by WN good for you. Youv'e got the SWA stuff!

No rancor intended.

Good Luck To Us All!

Last edited:
No offense

No offense SFR, but maybe you read part of my post too literally. I simply mean to say that just about everyone will try to convince SWA that they have wanted to work for them since they were born. A little commitment and loyalty go a long way I'm sure toward making the recruiter feel that you would fit in.

What I didn't say is that the furloughed pilot is more "qualified" than you, all I said was that just because you applied first doesn't make YOU more qualified than those who apply behind you.

Again, I simply feel that it is the company's perogative to decide what their minimums (thread creep) are and who THEY think is best qualified for their positions, and interview them in the order they deem best.

It is admirable that you have made SWA a lifelong career objective and I'm sure that they will appreciate hearing that. I just don't think it should make you feel that you deserve the chance 'more' than a furloughee just because you applied earlier.

Just my humble and ill-informed opinion. No offense meant.

Good Luck

FJ

Just wanted to offer the info I have on the original question regarding the point system. I was at HPA last month getting my type rating. I had heard the rumors about a point system, so I specifically asked the SWA rep the question. I asked if interview selectees will be decided in a manner similar to the one JetBlue uses...screened and scored by computer. The short answer was a definitive "no". SWA hires for character and trains for skill. The most important attributes SWA looks for are those that match up with the Southwest spirit. Attributes like that are not always able to be accurately assessed by a points system.

SFR,
Dude...you are not at a SWA interview..."wanted to work there since I was born." Do you also live on a diet consisting of peanuts, Wild Turkey, and cigarettes ? Do you have a cardboard model of Herb in your room? Did you also paint your car to look like a killer whale ? Can you REALLY guarantee that pilots hired by UAL, DAL, etc laugh at SWA ? You do not know their reasons...and OBTW qualifications are the basis of hiring, not the whole picture mind you, but the baseline. Even though you have wanted to fly for SWA since the moment of Mr Sperm meeting Ms Egg and your favorite book is "Nuts", you still have to have the basics and "fit" in their work force. You may not fit. PD folks determine that. If a furloughed pilots is willing to resign from previous employer and is more qualified then that pilot may get hired before you. Sorry. They hire using the "past performance predicts future performance" concept. I happen to have been thru the SWA interview process 4 years ago, passed, and offerred a job. Wonderful experience, and I actually enjoyed the interaction with the 3 interviewers. Cindy was the PD contact in those days and I wrote her a letter thanking her SWA's interest in me but I chose another path for personal reasons. Hard decision.
Like your eagerness, though. My long rsponse is meant to be fun ribbing...comes from 20+ years of mil;itary flying as a PIC in fighters. Will look for you in "C" concourse...you would be the ASA pilot with SWA stickers on your kit bag.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back