SWA pilots with families living around OAK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

easydoesit

I am an AirTran guy who will most likely not hold Atlanta when I transition over later this year. I don't want to commute. My wife and I are doing some research as to where we could move with 2 kids. We will home school if we have to. Just wondering if any SWA guys could comment on some nice places to live anywhere within 1 hour of OAK?

Any guys/gals moved out that way with a family where you could get a home for under 500K?

Thanks for any helpful thoughts, and yes I know OAK is a ********************hole...

I can't comment on OAK living, other than I have never even considered moving to CA.

I hear you about the commute, but I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. I would let the bid shake out and see how it ends up.

I don't think ATL is gonna be a real senior base for SW guys. I'll bet that there will be some movement in and out of MCO, BWI and MDW when it opens, which will dilute the seniority (a good thing for the junior guys) in all of them.

Moving to CA from GA is a huge culture shock, on many levels.....

We have a ton of guys living in and around the Sacramento area. It's a bit of a drive, but most do it because the areas are very nice.

I don't know personally, but if numbers matter you might want to take a look (if you can tolerate the drive).

I don't work for WN but I do live about 5 minutes from the OAK airport in Alameda. 500k in the valley or the sac area will get you 2500+ sqft, 4-5 bedrooms.......etc.
That same 500k in the bay area will get you 800-1700 sqft ,1-3 bedroom and maybe a garage if your lucky.
I would suggest you go to redfin.com and use there map feature to look up house pricing and features. Alameda is 94501 and 94502, it is just north of the airport. San Lorenzo is just south, it is 94580.

Sacramento is 2.5 hours average drive time to oakland.
Tracy, Manteca is about 1.2 hours
Livermore, Dublin is about 45 minutes
Concord is about 45 minutes

Drive times can vary up to 40% based on time of day.
The last 3 cities listed all have BART(train) access to OAK.

Livermore, Dublin, Pleasanton, Concord. I would stay clear of Manteca and Tracy...too much thuggery spill over from Stockton. YMMV

Discovery Bay looks intriguing. Walk out your back porch to a boat. Wake-boarding and fishing at your fingertips.

Sacramento is 2.5 hours average drive time to oakland.
Tracy, Manteca is about 1.2 hours
Livermore, Dublin is about 45 minutes
Concord is about 45 minutes

Drive times can vary up to 40% based on time of day.
The last 3 cities listed all have BART(train) access to OAK.

Sac is not 2.5 hours from Oak. maybe SFO in bad traffic. I commute from the east bay (oakley) to SFO and can make that in 70 minutes no traffic 2 hours with traffic.

we have a lot of people that drive in from Sac to SFO and its really not all the bad if you do it 3-4 times a month

Latest resources

Back