SWA pilots on food stamps? NEVER!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

user912

So my old CFI buddy is like this primitive backwoods kind of guy. No cell, pc or cable TV. Out of the blue he calls me and tells me about this article he read called “Death of the Air Line Pilot.”
He’s never flown 121 in his life but his retelling of the story just went on and on. So, I’m like: “Dude, will you just freakin’ send me a copy!!!” Then I remember, he has no computer. He offers to fax it to me cause he wants to keep the mag. Okay, whateeeever!
The thing is huge and my buddy is really screwing the pooch trying to send it but he includes enough to really get me interested so I call the number on one of the pages: (574) 289-9786
I tell the dude who answers who I work for and give him my address. He says they can mail out the April issue for cost.
The thing comes express! Now this isn’t an aviation rag. It’s more like one of those alternative pubs you subscribe to while in grad school and then ditch once you get the diploma.
The author is this retired pilot who has seen the good and the bad and has little hope for the future. Very hard to pin down politically. For example: he’s pro union but blames the unions for regionals and low pay. He goes after Reagan for firing the controllers but then goes after Clinton for the APA strike. He praises the women pilots he’s flown with and then has some pretty politically correct things to say about affirmative action that won’t be repeated here. He goes after safety but calls “Scary Mary Schiavo” a dingbat.
He thinks a lot of Herb but I don’t know what he thinks of the merger. Anyways, he suggests the career is a dead end unless more managers try to copy the Southwest Way and avoid RJs and food stamp pilots.

Last edited:
So you're saying this guy has an opinion about the job? Who the F doesn't? We all know what they say about opinions.

Hes talking about the thousands of commuter and regional pilots who qualify for food stamps---
Agree with the poster above- everyone's got an opinion - stay out of the backwoods

What's worse, food stamps or selling magazine subscriptions?

Latest resources

Back