• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Pilot on paid leave pending alcohol investigation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BTW, what's this 1,2,3 thing on layovers you SW guys talk about?

I suppose that's an appropriate question for this thread.....

Lets see...hmmmm......

a buck a beer, 2 bucks for the hard stuff, 3 bucks for the wine...

Am I close?

What's not to LUV about an airline that negotiates the price of booze for ya!!! God bless AMERICA!!!!

Keep a jar of peanut butter (or reeses cups/pieces) handy. It temporarily masks the smell of alcohol on the breath.

I can see it in the USA Today now....

"Airline Pilots Discuss Techniques for Masking Alcohol Abuse on an Industry Website."

I drink too. Way too much. Having said that, I've never stood in line at security and wondered if I was going to get past the TSA watchdogs with alcohol on my breath. It's bad enough that this ever happens. When it does, if we have to talk about it, we should be talking about the best way to help our colleagues who have an alcohol problem instead of talking about techniques for "getting away with it".

It's not a frat party, boys and girls. It's a job that comes with responsibilities. Foremost among those responsibilities is the ability to judge your own fitness to fly.

Why is there even a thread devoted to this incident, come to think of it? It's already been in the media in bold print. Is there a compelling reason to add to the damage already done by each of these incidents by discussing them freely on a PUBLIC WEBSITE???????

Does Southwest have a Pilot Assistance Program?

Bullcrap it isn't! It's a whole career better than getting on the airplane. I think he did an AWESOME job! I would have left out the whole "partied hard" bit and said something more along the lines of "go **** yourself until I speak with my union" but hey.

The bottom line. I can't imagine the dude was drunk 14 hours after the bar closed.

Gup

Settle down, Francis....

1,2,3 rule for calling in sick,

1 Airplane + 2 Pilots + 3 MALE F/A's = Sick Call

I was simply saying our fellow aviator did GOOD by not getting on the airplane as a working crewmember.

There is some speculation/evidence that he called in sick from the hotel and was commuting home. Since we carry toothpaste etc in our bags he was in uniform simply to clear security.

Don't know but I would hope I wouldn't get on the jet and I would hope I had the whits to keep my mouth shut.

Gup

I was simply saying our fellow aviator did GOOD by not getting on the airplane as a working crewmember.

Agreed! Good for him... and for you in supporting him...

There is some speculation/evidence that he called in sick from the hotel and was commuting home. Since we carry toothpaste etc in our bags he was in uniform simply to clear security.

Very interesting... what would the company memo read at any given airline?

"In the future, don't wear your uniform "sick" to clear security with liquids and gels"

Don't know but I would hope I wouldn't get on the jet and I would hope I had the whits to keep my mouth shut.

Gup

That is the problem with alcohol.....and judgement...

Gup

Seriously, Gup...come on! I agree with you on most things but this guy showed up drunk and got caught. A "good job" by not actually "working" the flight? Honestly? And this speculation about him being "sick" and traveling off-line in uniform? BIG stretch. That may be the defense his lawyer uses for the judge but I think most people here know much better than that.

And you "don't know but would hope you wouldn't do the same thing"? And if you did, "you hope you wouldn't do something that would get you caught", thus allowing you to fly intoxicated? Are you f-ing kidding me? That is a new low for anyone who makes a living as a pilot. It's really disappointing to hear that from one of my peers. I *seriously* hope you were being sarcastic.:(

Latest resources

Back