SWA Pilot broke rules at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

This guy will probably be reprimanded and asked to retire early at age 59 due to his failure to follow company policy. It seems by using the automatic braking system, the a/c could not turn-around in 30 minutes. If I understand the principal correctly, the autobrakes demand a longer cool down period before the a/c is allowed to roll again. Cut him some slack Herb.:laugh: :pimp:

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20051214-081115-3319r

Sounds like he had the autobrakes set? I don't fly the 73 so I'm not sure how the system works. However I highly doubt anything has been released by the NTSB this soon.

Lowercur,

Just stick to insurance. I don't know where you got your 30 min turn crap, but its not true.

We have been training on the autobrakes for the past couple of months and nothing has ever been mentioned of brake temps. It is a matter of energy absorbed.

Go away, just go away.

Slug

and yes, I know it is lowecur, but lowercur seems more appropriate

Slug said:
It is a matter of energy absorbed.

Don't confuse him will you? He is going to be thinking about his hand working himself over while imagining to be a jet pilot.

LowIQer gets all his information from those insurance gatherings and conventions. After the meetings they proceed to the hotel lounge all decked out in their best polyester and try and wow the toothless barfly's with tales of woe and terror in closing those door to door insurance sales.

Last edited:
Why doesnt or didn't SWA allow the use of autobrakes? They work awesome and are way more effective than manual brakes (especially in wet or slick conditions).

Any SWA guys know the scoop?

LOWECUR

Once again you raise the bar with your "analysis"

SWA does not use autobrakes, so he actually "followed" company policy. Numerous posts here have indicated max manual braking is more effective than autobraking anyway.

let the NTSB and various safety groups do their job.....

when we need a quote on whole life policy, we will call you

satpak77 said:
LOWECUR

Numerous posts here have indicated max manual braking is more effective than autobraking anyway.

I believe this statement to be true on a dry runway with minimal crosswinds or other distractions. Land in the zone, lower the nose, and mash 'em. But consider what this guy was probably doing... dealing with a slippery runway, some crosswind component, and probably working hard during the initial rollout trying to get the jet tracking true... THEN come the brakes. This also assumes that he got on them ASAP, rather than waiting for 100 knots or whatever his ops manual requires.

The beauty of the MAX autobrakes setting is that it brakes sooner, and more consistantly, than manual brakes. It allows you to keep your heels on the floor and work the rudders better, without dealing with the significant forces needed to apply max manual braking. Autobrakes are outstanding in xwind conditions.

Just like RTO brakes... tests have shown again and again that the speed of the automatic system makes them more effective than manual brakes for a rejected TO.

I'm not trying to condemn the guy, he might have absolutely peak-performed the jet during rollout, and it still went off the end. The NTSB will figure it out. Then we'll know.

Slug said:
Lowercur,

We have been training on the autobrakes for the past couple of months and nothing has ever been mentioned of brake temps. It is a matter of energy absorbed.

Well not to throw rocks....but....energy absorbed does translate to brake temp. Brake temp should not come into play until modertae braking is used and you should have a brake cooling chart somewhere in your perfromance data.
In the 727, if moderate braking was used the normal turn time was 44 min but could be reduced by refering to the brake cooling charts. The old technology didnt have brake temp monitors. At least in the 747 we have a brake temp monitor.

RocketRob said:
Why doesnt or didn't SWA allow the use of autobrakes? They work awesome and are way more effective than manual brakes (especially in wet or slick conditions).

Any SWA guys know the scoop?

They do allow the use of, or not, it's up to the CA to choose, according to SWA SOP. In this case the CA landed with the autobrakes selected off. Sorry don't have a quote but I read it reported as a result of his initial interview with the NTSB. Do a search.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back