• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pilot base seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Given Sw's large presence in LAX, I'm wondering why no pilot domicile there? Is this something that may be on the horizon?

Las Vegas is a more likely west coast pilot base than LAX. Not sure about all the factors, but I know we overnight more aircraft at LAS. LAS is more desirable for tax purposes also.

Just out of curiosity, (for you guys on the line) is there ever any talk of a Nashville base at any point?
Next Question: Regarding Houston, I know it's senior as all get out now. If I move there I'm guessing at least an Eight year upgrade, followed by decades as a bottom feeding captain. Am I right? Or will the demographics of HOU change in say, 10 years?
Any thoughts?

PT

Dallas and Houston are bound to open up as retirements continue. I don't think it will be much of an issue for you when you upgrade to Captain.

My comute to both OAK and PHX has been pretty much a no brainer except for the fact it can take all day and about half the time you end up on the fourth or up front on the JS..

The planes are over booked going east to west almost every flight..But..they still find a way to help you get to work..

The stats on the bases are going to be changing somewhat do to trying to even out the reserve usage..
Right now the spread of FO reserve usage is a low 0f 43% to a high of 96%..They would like to see around 60% or so across the board..Those bases that are light on reserves will see an increase in staffing..those that are fat will be harder and take longer to get unless the expansion happens as planed..

As for BWI..Ive talked with several folks up there and they are going to be going to a 300 per flight schedule starting in June..That plus the new gates and terminal will equal lots of movement and growth in the northeast..

The rumor mill has BWI as being the largest base in the company in the next few years..

Mike
MLBWINGBORN

Hate Commuting!

"Try not to commute if you can help it!" Those words have been spoken more times than I can count, but that does not stop the fact that some people have to do it. When your wife has a good job and you have kids entrenched in High and Middle School, commuting is the only option.

I am a new hire at SWA that lives in ATL and commutes to OAK. Luckily there is a direct flight on Delta twice a day out of ATL and OAK that helps get me to and from work. The first problem is that it is a 5 hour and 15 minute flight west bound and a 4 hour and 35 minute flight eastbound. The second problem is that whether you are flying AM's or PM's you are probably going to need at least one hotel room before or after your trip due to the flight schedule. That also means that your four days off is now two or your three days off are now one because of the commute.

But thankfully, because of the 101 new pilots below me now, I am being based in PHX in June. That should cut over an hour off my commute each way and and make it easier to come home for my three days off. There are seven flights each way out of ATL on Delta and more with America West. That increases my opportunities to get to work on time but does not protect me under the "commuter policy". If I am lucky I will get MDW or HOU for July and shave even more time off my commute and have more airlines and flights to choose from to get to and from work.

Eventually we will probably move. Besides, who knows where the new domicles will be in the next few years, but I'am willing to bet there will be some.

Hey Ultrapilot:

I used to live in the ATL area... I hear ATL-MCO is a real bi+ch for commuting 'cause of all the DL folks that do the commute. Plus those flights reaaallly tend to fill up with pax... they're all headed to the Mouse Factory down there.

I used to commute from ATL to MDW and the "Citrus" folks always made the commute very easy. Plus the second airport option (ORD w/ a ride on the "L") helps reduce the stress a bit.

RightBettor

Additional options

Don't forget about the freighters for jumpseating - late night, but, always an option.

Bank Air 800-622-9004

Airnet 800-824-6058

US Jets - I don't have their number with me, but, they have direct flights to Chicago from Atlanta. Either Bank Air or Airnet should have their number.

Commuting!

You guys are right. BWI and MCO are closer. I only mentioned HOU and MDW because I should be able to get to one of those by July. I would rather have BWI or MCO as my domicle but those bases are months down the road so I am only thinking short term right now.

I did finish the month of April at MCO after IOE with two trips and would love to be based there. Great people, nice new facility, and a short hour and ten minute commute. Like RightBettor said, the problem is that the flights are full. I am not talking a little full, I am talking overbooking by Delta and Airtran on every flight. I could usually get there on the first flight I jumped on but I could not get home.

After I finished a three day trip I got back to MCO and every flight to ATL for the next eight hours and the next morning was overbooked. Twice I ended up flying to another city beyond ATL so that I could fly back to ATL. It took seven or eight hours to finally get to ATL flying and I could have driven it in seven hours. Options are to move to Mouse Land (not an option - see above post), drive over two hours to BHM and catch an SWA flight (increases commute to three and a half hours), drive directly to MCO everytime, or check into jumping on freighters as RamRise mentioned.

BWI, MDW, or HOU would be my best base choices due to the fact that I can be to any one of them within two hours max and one jump. BWI seems to be the natural choice because of the shorter flight time and if they keep building it up I would not stay on reserve long after arriving.

One other note: OAK is a huge FEDEX base that has potenital for commuters.

Latest resources

Back