• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA PIC Hours Now at 1000 hrs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"This is actually one of the first moves of the new head of pilot hiring. He has changed the mins to help his buds from his unit, those that are not on the interview team! If you know the secret handshake (SAT-AF) you are golden. This guy is really going to hurt SWA! I have met him, he is the typical AF clueless a$$ kisser."

Except that he is a former Marine. Maybe you are confused because Chuck did have an AF exchange assignment flying the F-15C, during which he deployed in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm and shot down an Iraqi MiG-29.

So who is clueless again? Have a nice day.

One of you is talking about the VP of Flt Ops and one is talking about the head of Pilot hiring. Don't know if they are the same cat but my guess is similar backgrounds. Either way the move looks like it was meant to help out those having trouble getting that extra 300 hrs of PIC time. Apparently they are still having trouble getting enough qualified applicants that fit the mold.

From LL in January, she had 7,000 qualified applicants, 2,000 of which had the type, for about 700 or so pilot slots for the year.

With an 85% failure rate, that's just barely enough pilots to fill the slots IF you interviewed ALL of them. Not surprised the mins went down slightly - that's only a 5% buffer.

Maybe the new guy will straighten out the hiring practices a bit. Failing 85% of the guys who are coming from successful PIC positions at other 121 carriers is a bit ludicrous.

Then again, the military failure ratio on the interview is only about 30% from what I hear (I keep hearing buddies who went to interview and of the 10 or so hired out of 20+, 7 or 8 are always military - or maybe that's just the luck of the draw on those days). Sounds like things may not change all that much.

p.s. Yeah, I interviewed and didn't get it a couple years back. But I'm happy over here at AAI (I work a lot less than my SWA friends although I get paid less, too). I'm just confused at the rejection of some of my friends, 2 or 3 guys in particular, 1 of which is the nicest guy I know and a check airman at PCL with 4 or 5 internal SWA recs. Just weird...

Does any one know if you can count sole manipulator as PIC for SWA. If you can then I meet the mins and would consider Southwst.

Most airlines consider PIC as the one who signed for the a/c, not neccessarily the person flying the a/c. ie, your in the Left seat at all times unless you are an IOE instructor.

Failing 85% of the guys who are coming from successful PIC positions at other 121 carriers is a bit ludicrous.
Just weird...

Seven THOUSAND qualified applicants??????? I don't buy that....but anyway.....

ludicrous and wierd are nice ways to put it. :D

Seven THOUSAND qualified applicants??????? I don't buy that....but anyway.....
Why not?

How many Captains are at the regionals with over 1,300 (now 1,000) 121 PIC turbine?

How many pilots at JB, AirTran, USA3000, EOS, Maxjet, etc with that much PIC time who are still looking at making a jump for the pay and bennies?

She didn't say "competitive", she just said "qualified" which, to me, means they meet the stated mins.

ludicrous and wierd are nice ways to put it. :D
Yeah, well... ;)

Why not?

How many Captains are at the regionals with over 1,300 (now 1,000) 121 PIC turbine?

How many pilots at JB, AirTran, USA3000, EOS, Maxjet, etc with that much PIC time who are still looking at making a jump for the pay and bennies?

She didn't say "competitive", she just said "qualified" which, to me, means they meet the stated mins.

There are a lot of capts at regionals with over 1000 PIC but they don't all have their application in with SWA. I know what you are saying but with all the slackers I know, I just don't buy it. There are a lot of people out there that are qualified, but they don't all have any applications filled out due to various reasons (laziness, regional lifer, live in base and like it, etc.) and they don't all want to work at SWA (I know, it's "hard" to believe....I know but it's true). I could see 3000-4000 but 7000? I don't buy it. If they had that many, they wouldn't have any reason to lower the PIC turbine requirement.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back