• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Pay.............

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FYI....I know of an F/O who earned $200,000 in his 2nd year and a Captain who earned $400,000 last year. They worked their tails off and played the system...but they did it.

I heard he was a 5th year FO. 2nd year would have to pick up every trip at time and a half and get a min of 144 TFP per month for the year.

I've heard of several Lance's doing well over 200k

I average 112 TFP a month and I don't work nearly as hard as I did at my previous job. I've had several months of 140+ TFP, and my quality of life was still pretty good. (But I don't commute)

Hmmm. I'm a bit suspicious on some of those payrates since I fly reserves with about 5 SWA FOs and look at their schedule all the time. I'd like to see someone post a standard schedule they fly to make these numbers. With exact commute days, work days, block hours, etc. SWA guys on this board (and at my squadron) always seem to tout their high pay but then when you actually see their schedule it rarely turns out to be as rosy!

Well this month I was scheduled for 91.0 TFP (which is times first year rates) unfortunately. I was scheduled for 17 days off. I don't commute so I lose no days at all. I fly in the guard so I lose those days to that otherwise I would be sitting at home or picking up other trips. I can see how some can pull higher numbers of TFPs plus time and a half (at a much higher rate than me) which can bring in some good cash.

Never count per diem, because if you are on a good crew than that money is wasted at the bar, not in your pocket

Hmmm. I'm a bit suspicious on some of those payrates since I fly reserves with about 5 SWA FOs and look at their schedule all the time. I'd like to see someone post a standard schedule they fly to make these numbers. With exact commute days, work days, block hours, etc. SWA guys on this board (and at my squadron) always seem to tout their high pay but then when you actually see their schedule it rarely turns out to be as rosy!

Typical month for me as a very junior line holder (85% ish in my seat/base)

Off 1st -6th (with the way my previou month went, I had 9 consecutive days off)

7th – 10th 4 day trip
TAFB: 80:50
Block: 25:43
Credit: 32:09

Off 11th – 13th

14th – 17th 4 day trip
TAFB: 80:46
Block: 25:33
Credit: 32:09

Off 18th – 20th

21st – 24th 4 day trip
TAFB: 81:59
Block: 25:05
Credit: 31:61

Off 25th – 27th

28th – 30th 3 day trip
TAFB: 57:49
Block: 16:11
Credit: 21:70

At 2nd year FO rates that’s a little over $9k gross before per diem.

I could hold all 3 days if I want, for an additional day off per week, and probably a grand to $1500 less gross.

I've done several months where I gave away trips and rolled the dice on VJA, with my high gross month being 151 TFP or a gross of about $11,700 on 2nd year pay before per diem. That was with 13 days off.

Last edited:

Guys that make this kind of money at SWA really manipulate their schedules...they try to minimize block time (by accepting reserve giveaways or trades from other pilots hoping not to be used, or flying open time with lots of paid deadhead, or flying VJA for time and a half, etc)...by keeping block time low, they are frequently only limited by the 24/7 rule from picking up trips. They may very well fly multiple 6-day stretches a month if they can work it out. Without going into the details any more than that, it is possible to make lots of money per month at SWA.

A more typical expectation is to fly 100 trips a month...very easy, lots of time off. This equates to $93K for second year FO plus per diem, 401(k) match, and profit sharing.

Latest resources

Back