Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA on Capital Hill testifying for the abolition of the age 60 rule...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Paul R. Smith

Fender Bender
They asked for a chance to Re-vote on that Inhoffe ammemndment.
They reference the fact that 4 nations in ICAO allow for pilots over the age of sixty to fly under part 121 as pic or otherwise and that no problems indicate a trend in degrading performance. Some people of the nations under ICAO don't shower but once a week. They part they left out.

MY OPINION>>> If that happens you can tack an extra 5+ years to the regional portion of your career. Which 9/11 already added 4-5 years to it. And add about another couple thousand+ furloughs from the airlines. They need to retire the high dollar guys not get rid of the new-(low dollar)-hires. This will cause much pain for pilots on the bottom 50% of all airline seniority lists...Jobs lost, Positions lost, Bases lost, and Money lost. I think its bad for all of us if the age requirement goes to 65 or even 63. Alot of Retired guys will want to come back to work especially at the LCCs where they did not have a pension plan to begin with. They will want to make more money to add to their social security and 401-k.

All I can say is that if you value your career's progression in the upward direction then you will write your senators even the Republican ones and urge them to vote against this.

Is it that time of the year again? Seems like just yesterday we were arguing about this.

We don't have a SHORTAGE of pilots, and with a couple Chap 7s maybe in the pipeline, we will have too many unemployed pilots. It won't happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
We don't have a SHORTAGE of pilots, and with a couple Chap 7s maybe in the pipeline, we will have too many unemployed pilots. It won't happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee
How about the pilots who have had their pensions go "poof"? They may need to work a little longer to make up for the shortfall.

Everyone else was scared of Cabbotage, and Congress has so far said NO. As far as the pensions, that really has gotten out of hand. But, pilot shortages do not seem to be in our immediate future---so the age 60 rule will stand until then.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I would like to live a little after retirement...so screw that. Although, since I probably won't have a pension, I will probably have to work so it may not be a bad idea.

storminpilot said:
How about the pilots who have had their pensions go "poof"? They may need to work a little longer to make up for the shortfall.
That is why I believe ALPA is just sitting the argument out on Capital Hill and just encouraging the membership to write enough letters.

BTW if anyone has any questions about who their rep or senator is or how to get in touch with them, just pm me..

thanks for your interest. All pilots should care about this topic, and yes we will continue to hear about it every year.

Last edited:
Wheelchair captains

How sweet would it be if they could have a removable captains chair. They could just wheel the old sucker right in there and strap the wheelchair down. Heck he wouldn't even need to bring his own oxygen. Have the FO check his catheter every now and again. Dibs on the steak baby food!

Stuff always sounds better in my head early in the morning. And then I say it. And if you take this seriously chill. Just kiddin.

I think that you might see a few of the other airlines start to become interested in this issue in the near future. Part of the reason the airline pension system is so costly to the companies is the fact the Age 60 rule exists. When you get rid of the age 60 rule, you get rid of a large part of the pension and wage issues for pilots to argue about.

When the airlines get rid of the high dollar pilots, I think you might start see some of them start making noise about changing the rule. The argument might go something like this: "Let the pilots retire at 65 (or 62, 63...) and they won't have to demand the higher wages and pension benefits."

60+

I know 59 year old pilots who shouldn't be driving a car, let alone a jet.....thank you, no.

Latest resources

Back