Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA newhire questions (July 9th start date)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RIO

Any SWA pilots out there that commute or have commuted from Pensacola, FL.?

What is pay during 6 weeks of ground school?

Does SWA pay for Hotel during trng?

How long before I could hold Orlando?

Thanks
DDAY

They do pay for the hotel. You get all the food/drink discounts.

Pay....I forgot how much someone current can give you the amount.

MCO....looks like the bottom guy is a Sep 07 DOH

I believe training pay is the line guarantee for that month pro-rated for the days not worked (e.g. for a July 9th start, you would be paid for 22 days of the 31 day month).

The guaranteees are a follows (TFP means trips for pay):

31 day month 89 TFP
30 day month 87 TFP
28.29 day month 85 TFP

Multiply the TFP by the first year rate of $45.90 per TFP (and pro-rate appropriately) to determine your gross earnings.

Any SWA pilots out there that commute or have commuted from Pensacola, FL.?

What is pay during 6 weeks of ground school?

Does SWA pay for Hotel during trng?

How long before I could hold Orlando?

Thanks
DDAY

Congrats, coming from someone who briefly did PNS commuting, I can tell you it is TERRIBLE! Move if you can. I am an Aug 07 hire and I got MCO for the first time in July, so almost 1 yr to hold MCO. You will be commuting to the West coast (OAK for at least 1 month, then either PHX or LAS) and it stinks. American Eagle is usually close to full and they are often weight restricted in those little ERJ's, I have been taken off twice. Continental Express is the way to go, or Delta if you wanna go backwards first. Good Luck and try not to let it drive you too crazy! SWA is very good though... Cheers, klr

Thanks for the gouge, guys. I pretty much figured the commute wouldn't be any fun - but was hoping it would be better than it sounds. Klr - would another hub (like HOU) be a better option (or easier to hold after the inital Oakland tour)? I guess I could always make the drive from MSY to P'cola. With the housing market the way it is around here these days, I'd hate to have to put the house on the market and uproot the family if there is a feasible way of doing this. I appreciate all the helpful input - thanks.

I am an Aug 07 hire and I got MCO for the first time in July, so almost 1 yr to hold MCO.

...and this is as of right now...and remember from Aug 07 to now, there was a temporary slow down ( even a complete stop to the hiring...)

If we continue to hire as we are now ( June 2008)....you could be flying out of MCO sooner then you think.

Thanks for the gouge, guys. I pretty much figured the commute wouldn't be any fun - but was hoping it would be better than it sounds. Klr - would another hub (like HOU) be a better option (or easier to hold after the inital Oakland tour)? I guess I could always make the drive from MSY to P'cola. With the housing market the way it is around here these days, I'd hate to have to put the house on the market and uproot the family if there is a feasible way of doing this. I appreciate all the helpful input - thanks.

The drive to MSY will cost you (one of the highest rental car costs in the country), but it is definately an option. Tejas-Jet makes a very good point. The base movement will be different for you than it was me. I have done a lot of flying out of MCO in open time and it is a great base in my opinion. AS OF NOW, HOU is senior to MCO so you could get MCO first. Although, if you are willing to pay Texas's high property taxes, you could get a palace of a house within 45 mins or so of Hobby at a good price. My recommendation is to move to MCO area if you like FL as there are A LOT of great deals to be had on houses and especially if you have a good realtor and can help you buy out of forclosure. If u need more info, PM me... Sorry for the thread hijack! Cheers, klr

Is there any kind of emp. parking available at MSY? I was thinking of taking the beater car and leaving it there, avoiding a rental. Or does SWA only make parking available at hub cities?

Klr - I am a bit familiar with both HOU and MCO areas as the wife has family in both cities. I am certain some awesome real estate deals would be available at either, but it will be hard to beat what we've got now - beautiful waterfront home, top rated schools for the kids, etc. But you gotta do what you gotta do. SWA is an awesome company - and who knows, maybe sometime they'll decide to fly into this area and make my life perfect!

SLC.. Pool date was July 26.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back