Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's competitive?

Speedbird,

Unless you work for the People Department, that is an almost impossible question to answer. I think that when people start getting called for interviews, there will not be a pattern nor will you be able to discern what competitive minimums are. Why did he get called and not me? All signals and messages about what "competitive" means have been vague at best. Obviously for a good reason: Southwest wants to reserve the right to exlude and/or include ANYONE they deem appropriate for the job. They have said that they will look at the totality of the individual and decide which folks are the most competitive or ,in their estimation, make the best fit for Southwest.
It suggests that there is no single qualification such as TT,type,PIC turbine time, degree, orginal date of app, # of type ratings, etc... that will be dominant, but there will be an assessment made about how well you fit what Southwest deems to be a competitive candidate. Keeping in mind than in 4-5 years they want you to be a dedicated/happy/productive Southwest Captain.

A)Southwest will:
Train you in their procedures, CRM and company OPS

B)Southwest will NOT:
Teach you to be a team player, leader, dedication for the company, study, safe pilot, fit the culture

Therefore to be competitive you need to show that SWA can give you A) and that you bring B) to the table

My speculation but the message from PD has been very consistent. We will find out soon...

Stay tuned, when the interviews start we will find out what is competetive to get an interview.

El Cid,
Get into a reserve unit - either VT SAU or VR - and keep getting more fixed wing time. One of the guys in my class was an ex Cobra guy, and a guy in the class behind me was as well (they also had fixed wing time galore to go with their helo experience). Prior to 9/11, once you had the 1,500 T-34 IP time, you were as good as interviewed. Now, with the competitive computer rankings, I'm not so sure. Obviously the type helps if you can somehow manage it. I've got a lot of SH-60/CH-46 buds from San Dog that I'd love to see at SWA. One with ACA, two VR C-130 (one UAL furlough) and one NG KC-135. So, whatever you do, stay flying, stay reserves (the difference between $41K first year and $66K first year) and, if possible, get the type.
WEV

I have a feeling the type would make you more competitive. That may make a huge difference as to when you get called. More importantly ( I speak form experience) if you have the type and get hired it will get you a job sooner. I was hired in Jan. 02 I didnt get typed until Apr. of 02 because I did not invest in myself until I was hired I allowe maybe 50 pilots to move ahead of me in the pool. That is two classes and alot of line numbers. So if SWA is what you want to do, find a way. I used my VA benefits to cover most of the cost. You may need to take out a loan, but I wish I had gotten my type sooner especially now as all of my peers will be in class in Mar. and I will be bass fishing.

Hope this helps

Benhuntn

Just my 2 cents, but I believe the type will be a BIG factor in the intial interview call outs. The pool will be drained by the end of May if they start classes March 1st and do them every 2 weeks. This means SWA will need fresh poolies available for class at the end of May or beginning of June. Hiring somebody and then having to wait 6 months for them to get the type, does not flow well into the SWA hiring plans for this year. So, IMHO, having the type makes you VERY competitve.

Good point

Houman,

Excellent point....especially if they start interviews around the first of April. Heck, even if they start interviews in March, it'll take the usual 4-6 weeks for the CP review board, then the usual several weeks notice from Lindsey for a class date.

If a candidate w/o a type is selected early on in the process, and waits until "....Congratulations, we're pleased to inform you that you've been selected for employment at Southwest, etc...," then that "new poolie" won't even have time to get his toes wet. It'll be a mad scramble to go pick up a type rating, unpack, do some laundry, re-pack, say goodbye to the wife and kids (or significant other) and get down to Dallas for new-hire class. And forget about giving their employer the usual 2 weeks notice. And, oh yeh....this assumes the background check goes like clockwork.

Just a hunch, but if the current pool is drained by the end of May, and they continue hiring new classes w/o a break in the action, I seriously doubt that the first half dozen or so "new poolie" classes will be composed with anyone hired w/o the type at their interview. At a minimum, selecting a candidate w/o the type would add 3 to 4 more weeks to the process.

But then again, maybe there's some new features in place in the whole new selection process that will allow for a very quick selection and notification turn-around time.

Want to wish everyone who wants to be there good luck. ;)

Coop

FYI... RK told us in class at HPA the otherday that they will do March interviews for June classes. She added some variables like poolies and so forth.

L8TR-

Latest resources

Back