SWA mins - competetive?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Cid

I went to the last AIR INC conference in Dallas and they were putting out that SWA and AWA minimums are competitive and that you should apply if you meet them.

I meet the mins with 1500 T-34 PIC SE turbine (all USN instructor time if that's any help), and 2800+ total turbine (1100 SH-60 helicopter). Reality check... am I smokin crack to even think about SWA with zero ME (except for the ATP)? I tossed around the idea of getting typed in the 737 to make myself more competitive, but that's a lot of cash for a guy who's possibly a few months from collecting unemployment checks and has mouths to feed.

So here's my question: Am I nuts for contemplating the type rating? I was told that SWA policy is to interview anyone with the mins, and that they base it more on whether you are personally a good fit (they like you) with the company. I've even heard rumors that SWA does not like to hire former helo pilots. If I interview and don't get an offer am I prohibited from interviewing again for two years or something? Should I bag some ME time first in the reserves before interviewing?

Also if any SWA bubbas know Tim Simcox or Dave Smithers, I'm trying to get in touch with them. Thanks!
:cool:

Interviews are competitive

SWA has not committed to interviewing everyone who meets their minimums. The interview selection will be done on a competitive basis (only they know their needs and definition of competitve).

Good luck

Your numbers are absolutely in the ballpark, and I'd waste no time in applying if you think SWA is something you'd like to do. I wouldn't worry overmuch about the lack of ME time. Sure, if you get offered a job flying somebody's KingAir around for a while, I'd certainly take it, but there's nothing to be gained by delaying your app.

I don't think SWA has anything against helo pilots, but they don't count helo time for anything... but it's not a liability.

If SWA is something you really, really want, then a type rating will make all sorts of difference. True story: two guys apply to SWA, and are called for interviews within a month or two of each other. First guy to interview has the type rating when he applies, and gets a class date a couple months after the interview. Other guy gets his type as soon as he gets out of the military, and ends up in class over TWO YEARS later than his buddy. He'd also applied several months before the typed guy. Guys in the pool can probably provide similar stories.

Obviously, this is old history, but the pilots with the 737 type will get called much sooner than they otherwise would; if flying for SWA is a "it'd be nice if..." sort of deal, apply. If SWA is THE PLACE that you want to work, apply now but find a way to get typed!

Cheers,

Snoopy

Check with the Navy Education coordinator on base to see if you qualify for some VA bucks. The rumor I hear around here is if you have 2 yrs to go til MSR, they help you with money close to GI bill $.

That Whop-Whopping noise you hear is the sound of freedom reverberating through the halls of the People Department.
So yes, they like helo guys. The time doesn't count on the official chart, but I'd bet it has some subjective value. If you want to work for SWA with every fiber of your soul and any other airline is just plan B, then get your type and be yourself in the interview.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Yes, SWA is my hands down #1 choice.

I noticed that the unrestricted type rating requires 500 ME. So even though SWA doesn't have ME mins, I don't think there's any way around it.

Just as a heads up, some of my buds are applying at Southwest as well as AirTran, JetBlue, America West, and ATA. Previously, it sounded as if they were not going to count T-34 time but after returning from an Air Inc conference, it sounds as if they are going to say the T-34 qualifies. Most of them had 1000+ RJ hours to go along with their T-34 time (they are VT reservists). Anyway, good luck with Southwest and congrats on getting North Field, it does make life easier.....

Last edited:
howdee

El cid?
thats rich
Yup I still think the type will only help. It is telling the company that you are real serious about them.
v/r
slinky

Nobody knows (except maybe the People people with all the records in front of them) what the "competitive" mins are. If you have the mins you should apply. I doubt that you would get called in during the first round of interviews with that little fixed wing time, but never know. In the meantime, I would be trying to get either a ME fixed wing reserve job or a regional airline job. Start building 121 time, ME time, and hopefully more PIC time. That path has been paved several times by former helo bubbas. It just might take a little more time to get there.

On the other hand, there is no way to get in without applying, and everyone knows stranger things have happened, you might get a call for an interview and skip the regional part altogether. I would definitely apply, but I would also get the type rating as soon as I could swing it financially. I think that makes a huge difference in terms of being "competitive". Just one opinion of the many.

Good Luck.

FJ

Latest resources

Back