SWA looking more and more like the legacies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
*Sigh* Why do I even bother anymore?

Think back to the era before 9/11. Remember when pilots would talk about how great it would be to work for United or American or UsAir?

Do you also remember the legions of rejected interviewees from those carriers who then turned to the nearest airline internet forum to proclaim that everything and everyone about United, American or USAir absolutely $ucked?

Remember how people would leave United interviews saying "what a bunch of pricks."
Yes, I do.....and I am hereby calling for ANYONE here on FI that has left a SWA pilot interview saying "what a bunch of pricks" to please chime in here. BTW, this offer does not apply to anyone who did not say "what a bunch of pricks" after leaving their SWA interview, but then, having received a 'Thanks but no Thanks' letter from SWA, threw down said letter and was then heard to say "what a bunch of pricks".

Remember when American stapled all the TWA folks. Remember when UsAir pilots tried to staple the Westies? (oh wait, they're still trying to pull that one off.). Now look at SWA.....I'm just sayin.
Poor example since neither of the cited mergers involved a staple....and USAirways (East) pilots are still trying for date-of-hire. Do you know the difference? Look up Morris Air & Southwest Airlines....now THAT was a staple!

Look, I know what you're trying to say. When your airline is on or near the top, you're going to get some loose-cannons (generally with a bad case of small package syndrome) who let it all go to their heads. SWA most certainly has a few of them and they like to express themselves here on FI. But for every one of them, there are several others who for various reasons love to take whatever cheap potshot they can at the guys on top of the hill.....cause they are an easy target, and the Internet is a great outlet for those with an acute case of "Get Even With 'Em-ism".

SWA is still a great company and an awesome place to work, but the VAST majority of employees, from senior management all the way down do not take it for granted. They remain, on balance, a pretty humble outfit. That said, if the current definition of arrogance around here has become one who speaks truth to ignorance, then I guess I'm arrogant.

I will, but i bet someone will beat me to it...I go on vacation starting tomorrow and i am completely removing myself from anything that has to do with work for the next 8 days. But i'll catch up when i get back, and if need be, i'll let ya know what our's were.

That's always a good idea in my book. Have fun.

Enjoy the time off strchkr-I think alot of us could use an Internet break after that roller coaster. Good luck F9. I wish you the best- and I'll go on record saying though I'm not upset- I wish it would have happened. Was never trying to be arrogant or a prick- I just think you find a lot of our pilots that are really happy and satisfied in so many ways- enjoy going to work- love who we work for- work hard bc we know everyone else is and it'll be rewarded- great schedules- great pay. It's everything you want a career to be- and with so many of us going to work and fighting with just about everyone - (not your fault) we just want others to experience wn. I had to fight to keep bitterness away before I got here and I know F9 has had some serious uncertainty hanging over their head for a while now.

That and it would have been a great springboard with Lynx to feeders (never been prouder of a union and pilot group in regards to Lynx- there is one group who gets it!) and international- and beyond all the mud- your group would have fit in here well.

But not to be- we'll have to work that out on our own. Good luck to all and I'm off for my own week off- take care all. A good debate if nothing else.

That- and

Newjetjocky said, "people would leave United interviews saying 'what a bunch of pricks.'"

Oh, the fond memories of those interviewing days at UAL. What a bunch of kind, generous, caring people they were (sorry, a little sarcasm, here -- I had to poke this one a little). I'm sorry I wasted my time with them. But, it turned out for the better! Thank you, UAL.

SWA is still a great company and an awesome place to work, but the VAST majority of employees, from senior management all the way down do not take it for granted. They remain, on balance, a pretty humble outfit. That said, if the current definition of arrogance around here has become one who speaks truth to ignorance, then I guess I'm arrogant.

A very accurate quote, which applies to many carriers....including Republic. The few that you mention inevitably will post on FI and APC about how everybody else sucks, etc., etc.

Good post.

Good luck to us all.

T8

It is wise to ROOT for SWA, not bash them. Jealousy and trepidation are reasons why people or pilots back-lash on SWA. Company Strength and an INDUSTRY high contract are great reasons to be proud and confident in your team.

For the jealous types, remember, try to get your contracts (at this point) to match SWA. We can not afford to belittle SWA in a time like this when everybody's pay and benefits are less.

I hope SWA holds their place and grows in DIA. And more importantly, I hope we can right side this industry and match or perhaps beat SWA pay and benefits.

CYA

It is wise to ROOT for SWA, not bash them. Jealousy and trepidation are reasons why people or pilots back-lash on SWA. Company Strength and an INDUSTRY high contract are great reasons to be proud and confident in your team.

For the jealous types, remember, try to get your contracts (at this point) to match SWA. We can not afford to belittle SWA in a time like this when everybody's pay and benefits are less.

I hope SWA holds their place and grows in DIA. And more importantly, I hope we can right side this industry and match or perhaps beat SWA pay and benefits.

CYA

Brilliant!! I couldn't have said it any better. I've posted that very idea here a thousand times.

Brilliant!! I couldn't have said it any better. I've posted that very idea here a thousand times.

Unfortunately,

My company and Union and Pilot group thought of SWA as arrogant, thus shooting down a deal of a century. Now, as you will see soon, F9 will be turned into a slave labor second rate carrier. At least we keep the animals and names. We sure Showed SWAPA!

CYA

Latest resources

Back