• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA lands at wrong Branson Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you should instead just stick to touting the overall safety record. Frankly, the record is impressive (even though I think it's purely luck).

That's not what I said, clearly... because your safety practices are certainly not superior to theirs.
The only way to evaluate safety practices is to measure their effectiveness. The only way to measure their effectiveness is to analyze statistical data about how well those practices mitigate and prevent accidents. You are making subjective judgements about safety practices in direct opposition to statistical data refuting your claims. If you want to continue to make arguments that are in no way backed by factual data and chalk it all up to luck then be my guest, just don't expect anyone to lend any credence to your ramblings.

So to be clear, you are claiming that your safety practices are superior to all of the other airlines?

Funny. Hilarious, in fact.

So to be clear, you are claiming that your safety practices are superior to all of the other airlines?

Funny. Hilarious, in fact.
I'm claiming the only way to evaluate safety practices is to analyze the data about how each airlines practices mitigate accidents. If you have another method please share it. If not, take a look at the statistical data available and draw a conclusion based upon that data. I'm making no claims as to whose practices are better or worse, I'm simply analyzing available statistical data about which practices are statistically effective at preventing accidents. Clearly some airlines have more effective practices and some airlines have practices that are less effective than SWA. If you choose to refute that, please do it with some other argument than: "Because I said so."

I think when the same type of incidents keep happening to an airline, it's not just random chance. It's probably time for Southwest pilots to stand down, stop trying to explain away these incidents, and figure out what we're doing wrong, before we really do screw up bad.

Let me fix it for you PCL...

No passenger has ever perished on a SW plane. Ever.

Even after 3000 flights a day for almost 42 years (that's over 15 thousand days). And I hope that record continues for another 40+ years.

Was the MDW accident tragic? Absolutely. But you have trouble with the SW safety record above?

Ever? Never ever? Didn't some of yall's pax put a hurtin' on some deranged fool soon after 9-11?

Ever? Never ever? Didn't some of yall's pax put a hurtin' on some deranged fool soon after 9-11?

Yes ever. I'm sure we've had some heart attacks and strokes too if you want to throw them in. Operationally...none.

Nindiri,

I completely agree with you and it can happen to anyone. We've had some recent events and need to learn from them. No doubt. I'm not throwing stones at others because I know it can change quickly. Still proud of our record, and again, I pray it continues. We have some fine aviators.

Many years ago we had a complete flap spindle failure. Sheared off completely. Those pilots (thru skill) saved that aircraft and everyone on board. It should have been a hull loss with multiple deaths but it wasn't.

I hope we all (every carrier operating) has an unblemished safety record year after year. Loss of an aircraft and life is a horrible event.

Last edited:
I think when the same type of incidents keep happening to an airline, it's not just random chance. It's probably time for Southwest pilots to stand down, stop trying to explain away these incidents, and figure out what we're doing wrong, before we really do screw up bad.

Really? While Southwest certainly can learn from any incident (as well as could other carriers learn from anyone's incident), what are you getting at here? The "same type of incidents" that apparently keep happening to Southwest? What exact "same type" is that?

As I see it, the incidents that have happened to Southwest in recent years have been considerably different from each other, and we have learned from each of them. From each incident (with a complete investigation, that is), Southwest has "figure[d] out what we're doing wrong," and addressed the issue at hand.

Do you have specific examples of Southwest "explaining away," or ignoring what we're doing wrong? ('Cause I can give you numerous examples of what we've learned and changed after some of our worse incidents).

Or did you just wanna' bitch about Southwest on an anonymous board like everyone else? If that's the case, then by all means, carry on.

Bubba

Well, lets see. Just since 2000, two disastrous runway overruns that could have been prevented by go-arounds, an airplane driven into the runway and wrecked at LGA because the CA wouldn't go-around, and now a crew rushes into landing at the wrong airport and narrowly averts a deadly overrun. Do you really not see how this keeps happening?

Maybe it happens at other airlines too, but that's their concern. We need to step back and see what it is that we need to change here at SWA before our luck runs out and we hurt someone.

red, while that's a more honest statement, it's still intentionally deceptive. Your company's airplane struck a car and killed a child. Perhaps instead of talking about how no one has died on your airplanes, you should instead just stick to touting the overall safety record. Frankly, the record is impressive (even though I think it's purely luck). You shouldn't need to spin the truth to make it sound good.

In 7 years here at SWA I've yet to find one line pilot or exec who claims we haven't had a fatality.

And you won't source who has-

So please- either source it or shut up. And red- I draw no good conclusion from distinguishing between a passenger and someone on the ground. As a pilot I think it's worse to kill people on the ground. At least when one buys an airline ticket they are agreeing to take on the risks of an airline flight, however minimal they may be

Pcl- you're acting like garbage lately- what's your deal?
You understand and represent a lot of good ideas that you now seem to be working hard to discredit. I don't think there's any winners with your online postings about SWA -
Hint: you aren't discrediting swa- you're just finding new ways to discredit yourself and alpa

Latest resources

Back