Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hate in your heart will consume you.

Is technology always a good thing?

It's always a good thing to have. It is a great thing to have if you can turn it all off and fly the airplane yourself as well as fly the box! Is that the correct answer? I wanna crackerjack prize! :beer:

I don't know why I care, but at least be accurate in your accusations.

SWA does not charge bag fees because its reservations system is not capable of the transaction.

Not true, because we charge for 3rd bag, bags overweight and specialty bags.

One of those initiatives is getting a new reservations system, something long over due and something most of its LCC peers have already accomplished. Its current system, which is being tweaked to accommodate some of the needs of ancillary revenue and Southwest's acquisition of AirTran, has been unable to accommodate code sharing and many industry standard ancillary revenue products.

True to some extent. Sw can handle the AT revenue, but work rules prohibit it currently. Other LCC carriers are brand new and developed these capabilities in their systems when they were created.

SWA is also unable to accommodate code sharing revenue.

Not true, SW had a code share with ATA, as well as ticketing

And SWA is unable to provide business customers which are the highest yielding passengers the basics such as wifi and inflight entertainment.

We have wifi in 84 airplanes, with the goal of wifi in all NG aircraft. We are also using satellite wifi which won't be limited to flying over the ground, like some other carriers wifi products.

SWA also has been a laggard concerning flight deck operations. LNAV/VNAV, auto throttles, auto lands, and auto brakes.

We use all of these technologies with the exception of auto land. We hand fly cat III with the hud, we are also RNP capable.

SWA operates a single aircraft fleet because it does not have the infrastructure to operate a second or third type.

we don't have it because we don't need it. We will have it shortly because we will need it.

Also one of the best things we do is handle performance calculation in the cockpit without having to rely on HQ to calculate it for us.

I'll keep working for the man at the techno challenged airline, you keep working at the techno advanced and bankrupt airline.

C'mon guys, this was clearly just flame bait. You guys should just ignore him. He knows what he posted was crap; he just did it to spin you up. The only real surprise to me was that we haven't heard from Fubijaakr or General Lee yet--I was just sure that by now we'd have gotten a "there you have it" from Fubi, or a "take that, corndogs" from GL. Either they're too busy doing other stuff, or even THEY can't bring themselves to put their name to a SWA bash so ludicrous as to be laughable.

Just ignore him, and he'll go back to his normal threads of United & Continental, and who's getting screwed the worst.

Bubba

SWA is technology challenged in all aspects of the airline business.

In flight entertainment
Reservations
Flight Deck operations
Multiple aircraft types
International operations
Maintenance tracking concerning AD compliance

SWA does not charge bag fees because its reservations system is not capable of the transaction.

One of those initiatives is getting a new reservations system, something long over due and something most of its LCC peers have already accomplished. Its current system, which is being tweaked to accommodate some of the needs of ancillary revenue and Southwest's acquisition of AirTran, has been unable to accommodate code sharing and many industry standard ancillary revenue products.

SWA is also unable to accommodate code sharing revenue.

And SWA is unable to provide business customers which are the highest yielding passengers the basics such as wifi and inflight entertainment.

SWA also has been a laggard concerning flight deck operations. LNAV/VNAV, auto throttles, auto lands, and auto brakes.

SWA operates a single aircraft fleet because it does not have the infrastructure to operate a second or third type.

Uh...

They also, with the exception of a quarter every now and then, ALWAYS make money. And...

They have never furloughed.

Hard to complain (or point fingers) at that.

This thread is about TECHNOLOGY you Flintstone pilots.

Put your feet out for brakes you Corn dogs.

Technology is the topic here not economics.

Last edited:
Oh and I almost forgot.

How many flat bed seats are on a SWA plane in First Class? Just what I thought.

A passenger paying the hefty price of a first- or business-class ticket on a long-haul flight is likely to sink into 36-in.-pitch seats, sip fine wines from crystal goblets and eat gourmet meals with real silverware. The seat opens into a flat bed replete with designer sheets.

But economy class is the section where airlines have traditionally . . . well, economized. Once upon a time in the early '90s, passengers were likely to find seats modeled after sardine cans.

Last edited:
Low-fare carrier JetBlue Airways was the frontrunner in installing video screens in every seatback and offering DirecTV services

Jet Blue even beats SWA.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back