SWA is techno challenged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

luckytohaveajob

SWA is technology challenged in all aspects of the airline business.

In flight entertainment
Reservations
Flight Deck operations
Multiple aircraft types
International operations
Maintenance tracking concerning AD compliance

SWA does not charge bag fees because its reservations system is not capable of the transaction.

One of those initiatives is getting a new reservations system, something long over due and something most of its LCC peers have already accomplished. Its current system, which is being tweaked to accommodate some of the needs of ancillary revenue and Southwest's acquisition of AirTran, has been unable to accommodate code sharing and many industry standard ancillary revenue products.

SWA is also unable to accommodate code sharing revenue.

And SWA is unable to provide business customers which are the highest yielding passengers the basics such as wifi and inflight entertainment.

SWA also has been a laggard concerning flight deck operations. LNAV/VNAV, auto throttles, auto lands, and auto brakes.

SWA operates a single aircraft fleet because it does not have the infrastructure to operate a second or third type.

Well then, you could make a case that all our technological improvements are not cost effective, right? SWA has been more profitable without them than most that have them.

Just wait until the feds and oals catch up with us and we can actually use the rnp we paid for! Between that and the "synergies" created by the AT acquistion, we will be unstoppable! ;)

Who really gives a ********************? They are still the most profitable airline in the galaxy.
Boy oh boy, when I got hired by DAL they were the darling of the airline world. No losses ever and they had bought the company an airplane. Be very careful here, they have no DB or Dc plan and everybody focuses on the pay rates.

Dalad,

Remind us all how well the A Funds have fared in this profession. I'll concede that a B Fund would be better than a 401k match, but not by much.

You can have the company promises. I'll take the money. Having a sum equal to 20-25% of my earnings each year go towards my retirement is ok by me.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back