Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA intrvws...Is Renaissance worth $220??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
no....it sux

So my question is, is it worth it? Should I chalk it up to the cost of "whatever it takes" or should I maybe get a room elsewhere and find transportation over to have dinner down there?

How much did you spend on buying your type/interview? Now you are worried about dropping 220 on a hotel room. Lets see here is my 6000 for the type where and when do you want me. WTF over, 220.00 for a hotel room are you nuts because if not I got on in my briefcase.

Lucky lubing it up and touching your toes was not part of the "whatever it takes" thought process.

Personally I dont think it will help your chances of getting hired one bit. Plus do you really want to meet the potential people that are going to interview you for the first time in a bar senerio? Alot of the interviewers also live in Dallas so they will be spending the night at home anyway, so dont waist your money.

Networking IMO is the best hedge to help you get hired. You will still have to earn it in the interview but read on.

The guys you got letters of recomendation from (hopefully work at SWA) can get to the Chief Pilots and Assistant Chiefs (who will be the ones making the decesions to hire or not at the review board) and have them keep putting your name in there head. Make sure they leave the Chiefs a written letter in there mail box at work before your interview and also before you go to the review board. Have your sponser call them again or stop in the office for a face to face chat a day or so before the board to put your name in there head again.

There are only so many slots for class and if they have more names than slots at the board you may be turned down even though you made it all the way to the review board. Why not hedge your bet a little more and when your name comes up it may be the spark thats needed.

TheCheat said:
Many have said that it's a must to stay at the Renaissance prior to your SWA interview to get a chance to meet your fellow interviewees, SWA pilots and possibly some of your interviewers. When I called to reserve a room, all the "special rate" rooms were booked and the only rooms they had were $220.00.

So my question is, is it worth it? Should I chalk it up to the cost of "whatever it takes" or should I maybe get a room elsewhere and find transportation over to have dinner down there?

Go Whitesox!!!

This is the first I heard this rumor. I didn't stay at the Renaissance and didn't think anything of it. You'll get plenty of time to talk to your fellow interviewees at HQ. Make sure you exchange e-mails and such waiting for your turn to interview.

IMHO, it won't help you get hired.

Go Whitesox!

It's not a must but it might give you the opportunity to catch up with a long lost bud who can put in an on-line rec for you. It's also nice to have dinner and share some last minute gouge with someone in your interview group. Beats sitting in your room alone and stressing about the next day's events. If the Renaissance is too spendy for you, try the Sheraton Suites which is just across the highway and used by SWA as an overflow hotel. It all comes down to doing whatever you feel will put you at ease for your big day.

Jim Smyth said:
Personally I dont think it will help your chances of getting hired one bit. Plus do you really want to meet the potential people that are going to interview you for the first time in a bar senerio? Alot of the interviewers also live in Dallas so they will be spending the night at home anyway, so dont waist your money.

Networking IMHO is the best hedge to help you get hired. You will still have to earn it in the interview but read on.
Actually, I believe it a GREAT way to "meet" your interviewers.

I tried to get a room at the Renaissance - it's a GREAT hotel, fabulous rooftop pool bar (although it's probably too cold right now), incredible steaks, really nice rooms and beds (although they're just a bit smaller than the standard hotel room) and great views of the city. I used to live in D for 4 years, stayed there once or twice for "nights on the town" with fiance'.

Unfortunately when I tried to get a room they were full, so I stayed at the Ramada, rented a car, and drove over. I also left a note at the front desk of the Ramada for other SWA interviewees staying there who wanted to go over to give me a call - 2 people did.

We ate at the bar (get the herb-crusted Sirloin - FANTASTIC), had two beers over 2 - 3 hours and socialized with the other guys; I noticed a couple "groups" of 4 or 5 people hanging out behind us - one group turned out to be some of our interviewers.

They got to watch us interact with the employees, bar staff, and each other, being friendly, sociable, and having a few drinks without "overdoing it" or getting loud/obnoxious. We left around 10 with enough time to get 7 hours of sleep and be up (non-hungover) for the interview.

IMHO, I don't think it would matter one way or the other, but I don't think it would necessarily be a "bad" thing for them to see you away from the interview environment... as long as you aren't one of those people who gets obnoxious with one beer.

My two cents - get a $55 room at the Ramada and go to priceline.com and get a mid-size rental car for $55 and go over to the Renaissance bar (downstairs by the lobby) for dinner. You still get to meet a bunch of people going to the interview...

Good luck!

Jetjockey wrote:
What's with all this go Sox stuff??? Is there no decorum on this board anymore??

A suffering Cub fan.

I'm WAY more of a Cubs fan than a Sox fan, but I'm also a Chicago anything fan over a Houston anything fan!

GO CUBS!!!!!!!

(better now?)

Back to the thread, like others and myself said earlier, you could stay at a cheaper neighboring hotel and go to the Rennaissance bar in the evening. You could rent a car, too, and still spend less than half of the $220/night rate. I just think $220 is way too high for a bed to sleep in. You could try www.southwest.com for hotel and rental car rates (I wouldn't be suprised if it were cheaper there than via telephone!).

GOOD LUCK!

[
My two cents - get a $55 room at the Ramada and go to priceline.com and get a mid-size rental car for $55 and go over to the Renaissance bar (downstairs by the lobby) for dinner. You still get to meet a bunch of people going to the interview...

Good luck![/quote]

Just don't get a DUI on the way back to your hotel...You don't need to spend the night in the renaissance to get the job. Just do the best you can and let the chips fall where they will. Be careful, you will get advice on everything about how to tie your shoe and brush your teeth. Just be yourself, kick as# and get that job.

Good Luck

TheCheat said:

Go Whitesox!!!

I got a room there for around $150 before my interview. I do not think it in ANY way it helps get you the job. The only thing it does is help contribute to the spirit of what you are doing since you may see new hires in the lounge and other SWA pilots there and feel as I did, "boy this makes me want this job, I could see that being me." Are you going to meet your interviewers in the lounge the night before? *Maybe* but it is a long, very long shot, and I don't know or think it helps get you the job. At the price you were quoted it is hardly, hardly necessary.

And yes... go White Sox.

Latest resources

Back