SWA Interviews...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SKYW Pilot

Just curious... Has anybody been called for an interview yet who placed their app with SWA in 2004? Is it just the people who have had their app in since 2002 or so? It sounds like they're calling those first who have had their app in the longest which is completely fair and makes sense. I just want to know if I'm correct in my assumption. Take care and good luck!

My boss, who will retire from the USAF this fall, put his app online in January and had an interview last month.

I know of a late march/early april applicant that was called for a june interview. All civilian time with 737 type.

juan.

There have been scores of interviewees that have applied since the window opened in Jan 04. SW is using a scoring system for evaluating applications and granting interviews. Don't ask me how they score the apps--I haven't a clue. Good Luck!

I interviewed in April and applied Mar 03. Another guy in my interview group applied Mar 04. (5 week turnaround).

Original app put in

Dec 01.
Reapplied Jan 04.

737 type,
7000 pic turbine no call yet.
No incidents or accidents.

Keeping the faith.

July 01.
Reapplied Jan 04.

737 type,
2700 pic turbine no call yet.
No incidents or accidents.

also
Keeping the faith.:eek: :confused:

Keeping the faith

Folks with types, this is the motto to have...keep the faith! Yes they are taking those without types for interviews but the %'s are in your favor with a type at getting a call sooner rather than later. Non-typed folks far exceed those with types so I ask those waiting with types the following questions to make sure you use your time wisely. (those without types can also following this lame advice if you wish to :) )

If you can not answer these questions with a yes answer (absolute certainty...no hesitation, none!) then you don't want to be called for an interview (pardon my redundancy from previous posts but it's worth repeating I believe) because you aren't ready in my humble opinion:

1. Can you get you hands on your High School diploma/transcript (either/or) within the next 30 minutes?

2. Can you get your hands on your college diploma/transcipt (either/or if applicable) within the next 30 minutes?

3. Do you have a minimum of 3 LORs that are dated no more than 9 months old?

4. Can you pick up the phone and with 100% certainity, call each of the persons you could list as previous employee/company contacts? This will probably total 5-10 persons some of whom you may not have had regular contact in many years. (If you don't have phone numbers or names of previous employers do you have some way to verify you worked there? Do you have W-2 forms, pay stubs, phone numbers and names of fellow employees who can verify the fact of your employment there?

5. Do you have a copy of your credit report in your hands that is no more than 6 months old in order to verify your credit report shows nothing unusual?

6. Do you have in your possession full explanations of any accidents/FAA incidents that would need explaining to SWA to include FAA documents showing their findings (hopefully showing you weren't at fault but if you were what the circumstances were)?

7. Have your done your own background check to make sure no identity theft incidents may have occurred with your name/SS#? This is easily done with many online companies that will search a variety of databases using your SS#, old phone numbers, addresses to make sure nothing comes up strange.

8. Could you pick up your logbook tonight, hand it to your wife/spouse/non aviation person and easily explain to them how your acquired the hours according to the standards SWA stipulates to include breaking down PIC time, IP time, SIC and eliminating time that SWA isn't interested in (sleeping on an ocean crossing when you weren't on any controls) and have it take no more than 5 minutes to explain it to them? Do you have an easy spreadsheet prepared that would make this process very simple to see?

If you answer no to any of these or maybe to some, you're not as ready as you could be...push away from the computer & spend your time more wisely than reading the dribble on here!!!

I never even mentioned the personal preparation most folks do to mentally prepare for the interview itself in terms of reviewing your logbook and trying to remember a career of stories that may have spanned many years with different companies/squadrons with many different folks.

So lets say for the sake of argument you haven't gotten the call & tomorrow you do. Also for the sake of argument lets say you've done well & you've accomplished 1/2 of this list above. The average time for advance notice for interviews has ranged around 2-3 weeks. So now you have 2-3 weeks to finish up. You may not receive the supplemental package from SWA for several days after the call which requires you to document some of the information above. This will take some time to make sure you do it right and someone checks over it.

You are probably still working, family issues, other emergencies that come up in the course of life. You're now stressing over all the little things (those listed above) and many others unless of course you have accomplished them (highly recommended). None of the items listed above are 1 or 2 day processes...they take time. As the time winds down you're finding your ability to mentally prepare for the interview will take backseat to getting the "queep" done. How much time did you prepare for your 737 type....pace yourself is the key. Start now and when you get the call (even if it is a last minute call) you will be ready to go.

Relate the situation to sitting reserve for your carrier (for military folks, sitting alert). If we know call out is 2 hrs & it takes us 1.45 to drive there, most of us are going to do everything ahead of time to make sure we make checkin....this is the same type of thing....be prepared, do early planning (paperwork, research, review the interview process and your flying career, etc) and you'll go into the interview even more confident. You know it is coming so why not start the most painful part now?

My apology for the rambling but I speak to so many folks who are scrambling at the last minute to get this square filled or that paperwork completed along with the attention to detail of doing some of your own background work to prevent something oddball/screwy from messing up the opportunity to work for a company I believe you will find highly enjoyable. Many have been hired without doing any of this in advance so my suggestions are no forumla for successful but I do believe it will lower the stress level (I like that, that's why I came to SWA) in my life. Good luck to all and God Bless,

10,000 hours total time
737 type
5,000 hours of 737 time
No incidents or accidents
950 PIC turbine
Don't even meet SWA's minimum qualifications !!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back