Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Patience Grasshopper

Pig,

I believe the most recent letter sent to SWA applicants said "We do not anticipate starting interviews until mid to late 2003." or something close to that. Not trying to be picky, but the letter specifically did not mention when they would be interviewing.

Like Tred and xXpress1 have said, there are too many variables to determine when they will start interviewing, and who may be called when. You and I can't control any of those things. What we can do is this: Be prepared for the day SWA does call.

I'll wait patiencely hoping for SWA to call me. In the meantime, I'll do the best I can where I am, and will live my life praying for that day. I know even if they do call me, I am assured of nothing.

It's arrogant to think I will be called for an interview. It's even more arrogant to think SWA will place me in their pool.

Control what you can and have fun along the way!

Best Wishes!

Yahtz

Prayers to NASA and the families of those who perished today

For what it's worth: I've asked LL several times, "will my order to be called for an interview change? Will someone with a type who applies after me who has more hours slide in on top of me?" Her answer has been no they will not. The order will remain unchanged.

Typed in Jan 02 and applied in Feb 02.

interview-hire ratio

I saw above that you said typically one out of four that interview gets hired?!?! Is this correct. Seems like an awfully big longshot if only 25% INTERVIEWED gets hired. Please elaborate. also, does EVERY QUALIFIED applicant get an interview?

Thanks from NAS Kingsville, Tx

Yes, every qualified application will receive an interview. But it depends whether or not you have the type rating as to which line you go in. Do you want to be in a line with 600 people in it or in a line with 3000 people in it (behind the line with 600 in it?)

Type rating

As much as I would love to take 2 weeks off from work (a few grand in un-earned income) And jet down to Higher Power (7K and we'll figure about 1500 for expences). So being very conservitave, 10 grand to get interviewed for a 25% chance at a job.

Perhaps some of you can take a gamble like that, but it would be financially irresponsible of me to do that to my family. Fortunately I have a flying job and can just wait in line (in the 3000 pile hand delivered my App to Heather in Nov 2001). Getting a type would get me an interview sooner and that's about it. I'm qualified and am in the pile, maybe I'll never get an interview, but some of us have mouths to feed.

SWA Hiring

From my very limited experience I would have to say that 1 in 4 interviewees being successful is too low. While some smaller interview groups may have experienced that, most of the people who interviewed that I have talked to said that most of the folks in their group were successful. Of course SWA will be able to be more selective when they resume interviewing (assuming the economy remains stagnant and the applicant pool continually gets bigger) but I can't imagine that only 25% of the interviewees are successful.

At just about every airline hiring right now the gouge says that if you make to an interview you are 1) qualified for the job and 2)they want to hire you. The job is yours to lose. It costs big money to interview people and I've got to believe that more likely 75-80% of the folks interviewed get into the pool. Otherwise the company would be wasting a lot of money on interviews. The bottom line is that at least half the folks from my interview group were successful, and I think more like 75%.

Your mileage may vary, see your dealer for specifics.

my .02

At just about every airline hiring right now the gouge says that if you make to an interview you are 1) qualified for the job and 2)they want to hire you. The job is yours to lose.

I think 1 in 4 is about right. But that number was generated when they interviewed everybody in the order those apps were recieved. It would be easy to argue that now the hiring % will be higher because the candidates are screened before interview - However, it has been suggested by several knowledgeable sources that SWA gets pickier during times like these. The bottom line is - nobody knows.
If I had taken the 8 G gamble on myself and gotten the type before the interview I'd be coming up on my probation check - instead I am still waiting. But, I know myself well enough to know that interviewing with 8K invested would have put me under the gun. Some guys think having the type shows their commitment (I am sure it does) and that helps them relax. So if you have a choice I'd go 100% with my gut - there is NO WAY to predict the outcome of the interview and no way to guarentee it.
For most today there is no choice, no type = no interview. Just don't throw money at HP and expect to get a job. Make sure SWA is for you long term, get to know the company, and be fully prepared for the interview.

So being very conservitave, 10 grand to get interviewed for a 25% chance at a job.

It sounds like you are already in the interview pool: as long as you are prepared to suck up the extra months (year+) of waiting (if you are hired) I'd sit tight too. Just remember, the pilots interviewing you did go out and get their types just for the interview, as did most of the people who will be interviewing for some time to come. My point is, realise how lucky you are to have a choice right now and in the unlikly event it comes up, express your gratitude.

Best of luck - I'd love to see your smiling, suit wearing selves in DAL really soon!

Ladies & Gentlemen,
Had the opportunity this weekend to spend some time with a member of the SWA Pilot Recruitment team (why they need a team to recruit pilots for SWA I don't know!).
Here's what she had to say in a nutshell:
- Interviews/additional hiring for '03 is doubtful
- Very good chance for those who already have apps in the stack AND HAVE TYPE RATINGS to recieve interviews in either very late '03 or 1st qtr of '04.
- If SWA were to start "full-up" training they would most likely burn through those currently in the stack w/ type ratings in 3-4 mos.
- SWA is implementing a COMPETITIVE interview process. (My understanding was that they no longer plan to interview all applicants, but will competitively screen to determine who will offered the opportunity to interview) Guess what a key weighting factor is in this COMPETITIVE process. Yes boys & girls, a 737 type.
- As far as competitive minimums are concerned - if you have the minimums to apply (1000 hrs PIC, etc.), you are competitive.
- SWA is cautiously optimistic regarding the future. They are prepared pounce on the apps they have in the stack if the situation warrrants, but are planning for a more realistic late '03 -early '04 resumption of interviews

My take on the above info:
1. Get your type if you want a chance for a SWA interview. Although it was never stated outright, it did NOTsound like SWA would be calling anyone without a type any time soon.
2. SWA is going to be a greeat place to be in the future; lots of new airplanes combined with lots of age 60 retirements equals instant seniority
3. Poolies hang in there, it sounded like those curerntly soaking should be out by X-Mas '03 at the latest (my interpretation of the info offered, NOT stated in any form by the SWA People Dept rep).
4. If your timeline sets you up for '04, place SWA high on your list of places to be. If your needs are more immediate, not so much.

All the best to the SWAnnabe's out there. Hope all find this info useful and not too depressing!

Moosedriver,

Thanks for that info. That is the kind of stuff that can be useful for people who are contemplating other options, such as a return to active duty or AGR jobs, or pushing hard for a move to a corporate.

For those who were wondering where the 1 in 4 number comes from for successful interviewees, That is what we were briefed at Higher Power by the SWA pilot recruiting women.

Can someone confirm whether or not an applicant that puts in there app with out a type rating, then subsequently gets one, would be put at the bottom of the interview stack or whether they would be fit in to the typed stack according to their original app date?

Latest resources

Back