SWA Hou Based

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

str8upflyrght

I'm in the pool awaiting a start date (also waiting for Uncle Sam to give me my walking papers). Typically how long will it take to get to HOU and how long before a line? I know it changes month to month, but i'm just trying to get an idea so i can figure out whether to buy a house in Houston, or stay put and commute till i can get there.

Thanx!

I was online June '04. One month in MCO, two months in OAK, and the fourth month I was in HOU. I believe you can still reasonably expect less than six months to get into HOU if the hiring continues. Best bet would be HOU in three months. Good Luck!

Started Dec 2004
IOE Jan 2005
Finaly made it to HOU Jun 2005 (most junior person)
Finally got a line (e.g. no reserve) Sep 2005

First month in MCO with a line.
Second month HOU reserve line
Third month HOU blank line.

Timing is everything, I was in the April 05 class and had many classes right behind me.

Good luck
J3

J3CubCapt said:
Timing is everything, I was in the April 05 class and had many classes right behind me.

Right you are!! I took longer because SWA grew MDW for a few months, so most of the new hires went there initially (or right after a month in OAK as was my case). There are several dynamics at work; the rate of assimilation of new hires (e.g. classes in training), and company asset allocation plans (where new planes will be scheduled...this drives the people part of the equation). The good news is if HOU is where you want to be, it will happen quick enough.

The base seniority varies by seat and month to month. Here's my take on the list from senior to junior.

DAL, super senior on the Capts side. On the FO side I've seen it take over a year to get there and also seen guys sent there who didn't even want it.

HOU, similar to DAL, but a bigger base, and not quite as senior on the Captains side but about identical on the FO side. A lot of middle seniority HOU guys commute from DAL.

PHX, Moderately senior on the CA side. Large base and should have higher retirement rates in the next few years. On the FO side, guys who want it seem to get it within a few months.

MCO, OAK, MDW, BWI are all about the same as they trade off who is the most junior in a given month. Bases usually seniorize over time since open, but MCO as a new base quickly jumped ahead of the others on the Captain side.

According to the seniority calculator on the swapa website, As a 15 year person I would be in the top 10% in BWI, the bottom 8% in Dallas, and right smack middle of the pack in PHX. I would be the almost exactly the same top 20ish % in OAK, MDW, and MCO.

Maybe an FO can tell you what it says for them.

At my seniority it's-

DAL
MCO
PHX, OAK, HOU, BWI all within 3% of each other
MDW

but it seems like the new hires still mostly go to OAK. The seniority varies tremendously depending on where you are on the list and where we're growing/shrinking.

Latest resources

Back