SWA Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crj200driver

I have heard rumors lately that SWA is only hiring about 50% of the applicants they interview. Is there any truth to this, and if there is, what are the chances of a guy without a 737 type who already has a scheduled interview making it through and being asked to come work for SWA?

Well...if they are hiring 50%, then I guess it means you've got about a 50-50 shot...

Seriously though, I believe it is more like 20-30%. The last two people that I know that have gone have had 2 out of 12 people on their date hired and 2 of 11. Not sure if that is an indicator for the whole month, but it is what it is.

I think the numbers are lower than that. From my HPA class, 4 of 12 got hired. From my interview group only 2 of 11 got the call. From no official source, I've heard the 30% number kicked around.

Whatever it is, do your best and good luck!

Having followed SWA hiring for the last 7 years I seen figures from places like AirInc and such in the 2 out of 5 to 1 out of 4 interviewed gets the job. This is 40 to 25% which when averaged goes along with the 30% mentioned above.

Traditionally SWA interviewes 2 to 3 times the number of applicants per one pilot position compared to other airlines.

Personally, as long as you have your interview, I believe that you are now on a level playing field with everyone who has the type rating. I don't think the type rating is a discriminator at the interview or the decision board. Of the 3 people I know of that didn't have the type rating, but had an interview, all of them received the call. That's 100%. Just one dude's observation.... Good luck....

I got the Dear John letter recently myself. I thought I had what it took, but I guess not. No biggie, at least I can say I gave it a shot. Best of luck to all of you who are trying to get on. SWA is an awesome place!! I can say I am finished with the "airline" industry. This was my last swing as a "major" airline pilot. It's Barbie jets for now on for me.

BTW, I have a 737 type rating for sell if anyone is interested?!? Brand new and never used!! Bid starting at 1 dollar!!

Last edited:
Got the good news call in OCT. 6 out of 12 got the Call! All had their TYPE. 4 of the 6 were military. Hope this helps. You gotta try...this place is amazing!

Very good news that you got an interview w/o type. I heard that SW was going to start doing that as the "pool" got smaller. 3 out of 10 were hired from 22 Sep interview, good luck!

Wow! A civilian guy without a 737 type rating getting an interview at SWA?! That is good news. Let me update my online app. :)

Latest resources

Back