Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OakRBust

Still Lucky as Hell
Hey guys and gals... Take this for what it is worth... I have a pal based in Midway who has been looking out for any news he could find about the true numbers for the next few hiring waves.

He called me Friday and told me he flew with a guy who was friends with a CP (BWI) and said the propose hiring was for 180 in 2003 and another 180 for 2004. (subject to change of course)

I know everybody loves eighth hand info but at least it is something.

After I talked to my Pal I called LL. She left me a message saying that things are really looking up and as soon as classes after Jan 6th are confirmed, she would call me with an estimate of a class date. She told me I should make the 4th class. ( I am 44 on the list)

Just thought I'd share a little LUV.

Happy Holidays everybody!!!

OAK

The numbers you received are somewhat conservative:

The 180 number for next year came from a memo from the CP's office (that was authored from DAL).

I think it's a safe bet the 180 number for next year is a minimum value.

There is no way the 180 number for 2004 is even close to accurate IF the proposed delivery schedule materializes. Try 600+ pilots if we get the aircraft that MX is planning to receive.

Again ... just another observation from a line pilot.

From an objective standpoint, simply do the math. SWA hires 10 pilots per new plane, and in 2003 we are adding 12 or so planes to the fleet, above retiring a few. So 12 x 10 = 120 pilots just to fill the new jets. Add on 63 retiring Captains and we get 120+63=183 pilots minimum. Rarely do we go under our estimates. As for 600 in 2004, I'd say that was too high, maybe more like 400+ depending on how we take over the competitors routes. Remember, SWA doesn't want to jump in over its head and overextend itself, so things would have to be pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** incredible to go 600 in '04, but bet on more than 180 in '03.

Latest resources

Back