• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa hiring 140 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They are to convert the 717s to SWA also, so from what I understand the 717s start going over to SWA in 1/2013 and the pilots along with it. The planes have to be painted I guess along with 5 days of training if u stay on it. Scheduled to be complete by April 2014.

It will be like Green 737s and 717s on the AAI side, and there will be Brown 737s and 717s on the SWA side during the transition. The 12/2014 is a deadline for pay and going under SWA contract. And for the airplanes, but they can get an extend on that if management asks the union for it.

The 717's are no longer on the paint schedule...(Schedule was revised on 10/1) Read into it what you guys want... This is FACT...

Did I mention that we are -800s in less than 180 days? They will allow for decrease in airframes and block hours with constant ASMs.
I flew with a senior guy last week that wants Gary to "man up and admit that we have overhired and fix it." Because he "should not have to continue to suffer through decreased line totals and unproductive trips." "Gary owes it to the employees and shareholders to do the right thing here and get rid of all the probies NOW then take a good hard look at the 2008 group." Because he "has lost $40000/year in earnings since 2006." He thinks we need to put out at least 400.
The fact is that the senior guys here normally get what they want. It (hopefully) won't go as far as this guy wants it to but the top portion of the list will be really unhappy if we hire.

Last edited:
Just shows what you know. At SWA reserves have to be used before premium trips are awarded.

If you don't have enough reserves to cover all your flying, you're understaffed. What don't you understand about that?

-800 delivery schedule has been tweaked. There will be 35 -800s delivered in 2012, starting in March. That is almost one a week for 2012 once the deliveries start. Don't know if the retirement schedule for the -300s has changed though.

717 sims will not be relocated. Boeing wants to sell them to SWA for $4 million a piece. Estimated cost of relocating each sim to DAL is $500,000. $9 million cost to SWA to bring the 717 sims in house. Not going to happen.

Did I mention that we are -800s in less than 180 days? They will allow for decrease in airframes and block hours with constant ASMs.
I flew with a senior guy last week that wants Gary to "man up and admit that we have overhired and fix it." Because he "should not have to continue to suffer through decreased line totals and unproductive trips." "Gary owes it to the employees and shareholders to do the right thing here and get rid of all the probies NOW then take a good hard look at the 2008 group." Because he "has lost $40000/year in earnings since 2006." He thinks we need to put out at least 400.
The fact is that the senior guys here normally get what they want. It (hopefully) won't go as far as this guy wants it to but the top portion of the list will be really unhappy if we hire.

That Senior guy is not realistic. And not all of them get their way. Because some of them are just out of touch. I believe his kool aid must have been bad!!!

That Senior guy is not realistic. And not all of them get their way. Because some of them are just out of touch. I believe his kool aid must have been bad!!!

I agree that this guy is not in the mainstream of thinking. I don't think we will furlough. My point was with that type of thinking out there in that very influential seniority group hiring is unlikely. My odds: hiring 20 percent, furlough 5 percent, do neither 75 percent.

I flew with a senior guy last week that wants Gary to "man up and admit that we have overhired and fix it." Because he "should not have to continue to suffer through decreased line totals and unproductive trips." ".

Well that senior guy is an idiot. All I have flown for over a year is POT (premium open time). I would say that says we are under maned . GBJ you seem to have alot of gloom and doom for us. Would you like to wager your wrong and might I say by a lot.

Being senior does not make someone the know-all. I have flown with new hires that should be in DAL teaching the training center. :)

PS If the old senior crowd was so smart, they would still not be here flying because they lost most of there 401k :)

I'm gloom and doom on the whole industry not just us. It's a high cost low yield game. No one really has a significant cost or yield advantage right now so everyone is deadlocked without any growth. Our management seems to handle the conditions better than most which is to our advantage.
I hope I'm wrong and that they find profitable growth for us.
The manning on the captain and f/o sides is very different right now. Overmanned F/O and not so much on the captain side. I wonder why that is.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back