• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kelbill

From the Employee News:

Southwest Attracted to One of the Fastest-Growing Regions in the Country
Southwest has requested two gates at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) for service that we intend to start in the fall of 2006.

"We are celebrating 35 years of Legendary Service in 2006. Still, the opportunities to grow our famous Southwest Low Fare leadership within the United States are abundant," said Gary. "The sheer size and scope of the Washington, D.C. metro area makes Washington Dulles International Airport an exceptional market opportunity. Located in northern Virginia, Dulles will be a terrific complement to our Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) operation located near Baltimore, Maryland."

Dulles is one of three major airports within the sprawling Washington, D.C. metro area, which has a population of approximately eight million people. Along with BWIour fourth-largest airport with 165 daily departuresand Ronald Reagan National Airport, some 65 million people travel into and out of the area each year.

The northern Virginia area near Washington Dulles includes three of the nation's fastest-growing counties, Loudoun, King George, and Caroline. Fueled by the presence of such companies as MCI Inc., Oracle Corp., Orbital Sciences Corp., America Online Inc., and Nextel Communications Inc, developers are clamoring to keep up with demand in the area.

"The population and business growth in northern Virginia means a great opportunity is rapidly getting even better," Gary said. "As the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area continues to expand, the need to serve our Customers in northern Virginia becomes more urgent."

Southwest has not yet announced how we will weave Dulles into our existing network. We will announce those routes along with fares this summer.

"The Baltimore/Washington market and Maryland's BWI airport are very important to Southwest Airlines," Gary said. "We are very excited to grow our Baltimore/Washington presence and welcome new Virginia Customers at Dulles with our Low Fares and Legendary Customer Service."

IAD is approximately 50 miles from BWI.

Yeah Baby!!!! (was that too cocky of a response?)

My sister will love this. She lives in DC and hates going up to BWI. Never even heard this one on the rumor mill. I gotta get better sources.

Peace,
DP

Like you ... I just fired my rumor mill manager...

In hindsight it makes sense ... Independence went Chapter 7 ...

AirTran and Jet Blue made a move to capture the traffic left by Independence's departure ...

I'm guessing SWA management did not want a repeat of the erosion of traffic BWI experienced last year during Independence's big expansion ...

Still ...

I would have bet big dollars we would have seen MSP or CLT before IAD.

Good thing my wife doesn't allow me to gamble with 'her money'.

The idea of Dulles has been a rumor for a couple years, just not the top rumor. Wasn't that the big Independence hub? Hence, when opportunity knocks . . .

On top of that, news from the investment sites mention how March load factor was up a few points again. With 63-65% break even loads, and a LF of 69%, even lowecur might want to commend us.

For the uninformed, the break even load factors are pasted on every weather/dispatch package we get, and DO take into account our hedging situation. GK wants to increase profits 15% this year, and I don't think he sets goals he will likely fail to achieve. This is one crazy industry though, so who knows.

ATA flys to IAD, right? Where are the gates coming from? I thought UAL bought all of Flyi 's gates? Its kind of a weird way to annouce a city "we requested gates"

SWA/FO said:
ATA flys to IAD, right? Where are the gates coming from? I thought UAL bought all of Flyi 's gates? Its kind of a weird way to annouce a city "we requested gates"

ATA flies into DCA.

Bye Bye--General Lee

SWA - BWI, DCA via codeshare with ATA, PHL, LGA via codeshare with ATA, PVD, Islip, Manchester and now IAD. Are you sure they aren't called Northeast?

SWA/FO said:
If you spent a little more time reading and less BS rah..rah on here you might learn something.

ATA goes to DCA. How do you not know that?

United bought Flyi's A gates which are configured for regional aircraft only. They are the only owned gates other than the D concourse already owned by united. MWAA leases out all other terminals. There are plenty of empty gate space open in the B/C terminal left by NWA and indy's airbus'. They are also finishing additional gates which are brand new in that terminal.

What is scary is we are following the blueprint of US Air from years and years ago. Seems like it's only time before another cheaper airline (Vigina America) swoops in and does to us what we did to US Air.

Latest resources

Back