Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr Hat

Hey guys,
I am shopping around for a 737 Type, SWA is my ultimate goal. From what I have read here K&S and Higher Power are the two places that most SWA wannabe's go to. Are there others out there that I am missing?
Also anyone out there who got their type at K&S or Higher Power that would like to share their experiences, I'd love to hear them.
A few questions:
1. K&S has 737-200 and -300 sims as far as I know. Does anyone know what type Higher Power has? I haven't flown steam gauges in about 7 years....I'm a little nervous.

2. K&S has Examiners on staff...does Higher Power have their own examiners or do the feds come in and do your check rides?

3. Did you feel prepared for your Entrance Exam, Oral, Check Ride in your experience with K&S/HP?

Question 3 is the most important one. I am a hard worker and I will know all the information presented to me....however I too have had bad instructors in my life where I did not feel prepaired for my ride (On my E145 FO ride I did ONE V1 cut in 5 sim sessions before my checkride....that was only one area in which I was not properly prepaired for that ride...I still made it through but it made my ride that much more stressful)

Thanks for the info in advance. I really hope I get a call from SWA after I get typed.

Mr Hat said:
SWA is my ultimate goal.

Thanks for the info in advance. I really hope I get a call from SWA after I get typed.

Don't waste your time applying anywhere else. If you're a good guy, then you want to work for Southwest. If you don't want to work for Southwest, then you're not a good guy.

Everyone who reads this is either working for Southwest, or they're wishing they were. I hope I get hired before you. Mr. Hat, you can be my First Officer anytime!

Mr Hat said:
Hey guys,
I am shopping around for a 737 Type, SWA is my ultimate goal. From what I have read here K&S and Higher Power are the two places that most SWA wannabe's go to. Are there others out there that I am missing?
Also anyone out there who got their type at K&S or Higher Power that would like to share their experiences, I'd love to hear them.
A few questions:
1. K&S has 737-200 and -300 sims as far as I know. Does anyone know what type Higher Power has? I haven't flown steam gauges in about 7 years....I'm a little nervous.

2. K&S has Examiners on staff...does Higher Power have their own examiners or do the feds come in and do your check rides?

3. Did you feel prepared for your Entrance Exam, Oral, Check Ride in your experience with K&S/HP?

Question 3 is the most important one. I am a hard worker and I will know all the information presented to me....however I too have had bad instructors in my life where I did not feel prepaired for my ride (On my E145 FO ride I did ONE V1 cut in 5 sim sessions before my checkride....that was only one area in which I was not properly prepaired for that ride...I still made it through but it made my ride that much more stressful)

I did mine at HPA, can't say enough good things about them, the training, the instructors,the staff, the whole program in general. I'll give your questions a shot.

1) HPA uses both 200 and 300 sims, you have your choice. The ground school is based on the 200, with a differences class for those who choose to fly the 300.

2) They have their own examiners.

3) We were completely prepared for the oral and checkride. Very high quality instruction, absolutely nothing to worry about if you put in some effort.

I hadn't flown steam guages in many years either, and had the same concerns as you have, which is why I chose the 300 over the 200. Really, it was no big deal, the only adjustment is having to fly your own DME Arcs and NDB approaches again. Truth be told, it's a really easy airplane to fly.

One nice thing about HPA is you can choose to fly the sims at SWA. Usually 1 or 2 slots at SWA per class. If you want to go to SWA eventually, it's a glimpse of the Promised Land :)

Best of luck where ever you go.

1. K&S has 737-200 and -300 sims as far as I know. Does anyoneknowwhat type Higher Power has? I haven't flown steam gauges in about7years....I'm a little nervous.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. HPA has -200/-300 for the same price... they have a NG sim which you could use but at much higher cost which no one does.

2. HPA has all their own examiners. VERY high pass rate: well over 90%.

3. Totally prepared at HPA.

Both are good but I can speak to HPA in that I have NEVER, notonesingle time, heard a critism of the type there other than that youcould get the type elsewhere for a bit less so it is pricey. Youwillnot have a bad experience at HPA for sure.

I also went to HPA and can't say a bad thing about it.

I too haven't flown steam gauges in about 5 years and it comes back to you pretty quickly. My best friend and I went together and chose the 300 because of the autopilot.

Did mine last March and I can honestly say it was the best two weeks I ever had flying and hanging out with the boys.

I agree with 328Dude. In fact, he talked me into going to HPA.

I went to HPA with a scepticle attitude. Two weeks later I was a HPA Kool Aid drinker. they do a great job. even if you don't get hired at SWA the HPA experience will recharge your aviation juices.

Ask 328Dude. I was a cynical bastard and am now a generally happy guy. I owe it to HPA.

Last edited:
You can go to FTI in Denver, 5995.00. Examiner on staff. Did mine in 11 days.
They use UA sim -200, autopilot, well thats another story. Lots of work, but fun.
:cool:

I went to K&S. The ground school instructor (Mike!) was fabulous! Due to other commitments I had at the time, I didn't even crack a book before I showed up - no systems, memory items, no profiles - zip, zilch, nada. I kinda knew what a 737 looked like, that was about it. While I worked really hard during the first week, cramming through systems, I got through the program easily. My sim instructor was a retired SWA captain, the nicest guy (Merle!) you could ever meet and a great instructor. My sim partner was an A-10 pilot and it seemed after the first sim sessions that he'd never make it. However, by the end Merle had him flying to tolerances and with much more confidence than he displayed on day 1.

The training at K&S was significantly better than the training I received as a new hire at a 737 operator. That's saying alot, when the K&S program was only two weeks long as opposed to the airline's two month program.

I've heard great things about HPA as well. Just for the fact that HPA seems to be tied in closer to SWA, I recommend my friends also check out HPA.

Ditto what English said. A bunch of fine human beings at K&S!

From what's been said here, both are great establishments. I'd say look at whichever one can schedule you closer to when you want to go do it, and which one is more convenient for you to get to.

LUV is rid of the -200. The training is now going to be focused on the -700 model. With differences training in the -300.

Does HP or K&K have the -700.

Any considerations here..or ultimatley it doesn't matter?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back