SWA current info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sabreliner

Just a few questions for anyone in the know.

1. Is Southwest interviewing currently, or is that going to start up again when classes begin?

2. Would a Brasilia captain at ASA with 1000 E120 PIC and 3600tt have a decent chance, or is it not realistic?

3. Is the 737 type required to get an interview? Their web site does not mention it, but I hear people talking about it.

Thanks

SFR

1. NO they are not currently interviewing and PROBABLY won't until 2003.

2. If you meet the minimum requirements you have the same chance as anybody else. Be sure and read what they count as PIC. ( It's not sole manipulator of the controls)

3. The type rating is not required for interview, however, everyone with a type rating will interview before you even if they send in their package after you.

Chris

Next question, from a poolie to you guys on the line who know -

You guys have to some extent been fairly ambiguous about what issues are left unresolved (vague comments about reserve policies, etc..I mean, a two hour callup is still half hour better than I get at my regional now!) or why those of you who voted "no" did so. From what I could see, granted someone outside looking in, it seems like a pretty darn good deal to me. I mean, it's not United money, I give you. I honestly hope it never will be. If I wanted to work for them I would have applied when they were hiring. But geeze, top out at $173 a trip, fly 100 a month and do the math. You could even live in OAK if you wanted to. I know the retirement medical benefits are still pretty lacking, but really, all in all it seems like a good deal. And what was the "language" issue about in the last couple weeks, specifically, that made SWAPA reccommend to shoot this thing down? Did it have something to do with stock options for future new hires? Will the poolies still get any in '03 or whenever we get hired? What is the strike price? $12 something as the news release said, or does it for us depend on our future date of hire? When do you have to "sell" them by?
Next topic, slight change of subject: For Chase, or anyone who could hazard a guess about DAL as a base. I'm guessing most of the captains there now are of the ridiculously senior variety. Ten years down the road, will it still be like that? Here's what I'm really asking: I'm way ahead of myself, but I'm toying around with moving there in a couple years. Would I still be looking at a 10 year upgrade, only to spend my last 16 years there on reserve as a bottom feeding captain working weekends and hollidays? Or is it possible that it could someday be a little less than the horrifically senior place that it now is?
Last question: The -200 issue in DAL in HOU - I know the extra pay is going away. Are all DAL and HOU pilots automatically going to be flying the 200's, or do you still have to bid for them even if you are based there? Do they build completely separate lines for them?
What is some new hire isn't qualified on them but wants to be?
What is the process?
Lots of questions, sorry. I've been saving them up. Thanks!

DAL

Only because you are higher up on the "poolie" list than I am...Dallas sucks - don't come here! ;)

Actually, at my current company they say that all the trees in Wisconsin sway to the west because Minneapolis sucks.
Dallas is the promised land! I used to fly Metros out of DFW for Lone Star, years ago.
If it's any comfort, I'm also thinking HOU, but darn if it isn't humid down there.
Gee Wally, darned if I'm not already enjoying my first taste of hypothetical seniority! I'm already senior to another poolie who wants DAL! Anyway, I'll shoot for MDW for a while until I move, after I get rescued from OAK.

Last edited:
Bake,

Are you sure about #3 as far as the interview slots go? I thought they went to a new point system last January. How the scoring system works is a complete mystery so I've heard. Seems I recall some earlier posts about it though.

I thought you were called in based on your point results, regardless of whether you have the type or not. Of course, the type supposedly scores you more points, but I was under the impression that other points may be given or weighted more for other qualifications as well, thereby possibly letting a candidate w/o the type get called for the interview sooner.

I just don't really know, it's just what I've heard. Anyone else able to confirm or deny?

I've had a couple of friends ask me directly trying to figure out why they weren't called for an interview last winter. Both had types, lots of part 121 737 experience with a major, and plenty of turbine PIC time. You can look at the poolie list and see quite a few folks who were interviewed and got their types later on. Seems like these 2 guys should have been called to me, but who knows?

Latest resources

Back