Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
boeing747-800 said:
don't bother getting on my jumpseat

Can someone get this tool a beer so he can chill out. It sounds like he needs a friend. (I can't imagine why he doesn't have any...?)

Guch

Last edited:
RTMCC, I haven't jumpseated in a while (been furloughed; now doing AF Reserve stuff), but my kids and -ex live in DEN, so I'm familiar with getting in & out of there.
I don't believe in commuting, but it's definitely do-able. I'd favor MDW over OAK due to the larger number of available seats in close proximity.
With OAK, you've got SFO as a backup airport. Having flown out of SFO, I can tell you that's one heckuva crapshoot; a little bit of fog & you're looking at big delays and cancellations.
If you choose MDW, you can use ORD, and use STL, MKC, MSP, and DTW as backups for connecting flights. If you get to one of the alternate cities, you can always rent a car one way to make sure that you get there on time (been there, done that).
And don't forget the ID90s; I'd have one available for every airline that goes to MDW/ORD. They're refundable if you don't use them.

When I got hired by my first airline (a 121 sched charter), I had to do a double commute. It was difficult, but due to proper planning, I was never late.
Commuting will likely not be a lifetime choice for you, unless you need more time away from the family.

Good luck to you and have a great career.

Any estimates of how many classes behind you it would take to get MDW? PHX? HOU? Thanks for any info. Also, is OAK where everyone is still going out of training or are there a few making other JR. bases still? It's finally time to start thinking of these little details!!!

Don't let these guys scare you. Commuting isn't that bad. I've been commuting for 4 and a half years and haven't gotten older, fatter or balder, for crying out loud . . . well, maybe older, but only 4.5 years older.

Commuting is a small price to pay to live where you want. I work for a different airline, but I can't believe that after a year you won't be holding lines that are commutable on both ends . . . Good luck.

Great feedback on all fronts, guys. I appreciate everyone's POV, and have a lot to think about before I finish training. For the time being, I think staying in COS (where the wife has a job that makes more than I do) and trying the commute is the plan; we'll re-evaluate in a year or so. For those of you who have been here, I'm sure you know the draw of this place.
TJ, we'll see you in 3 weeks. To the rest of the SWA guys, I'll be the new guy who will probably walk down the wrong jetway. To all others, thanks again for a great discussion. Good luck to all!

Guch- take notes, you'll be here soon!

Latest resources

Back