SWA commute from Denver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RTMCC74,

I have no idea how old you are but juding by your profile I'm guessing you have a lot of years left before you turn 60 or whatever the retirement age ends up being down the road. Commuting might be OK short term but do you really want to do it for the rest of your career? You've got one of the best jobs in the industry right now. You'll see the wife (and kids if you have them) a lot more if you live in a domicile. If your wife is a professional of some sort and makes the big bucks there are jobs around OAK, MDW,PHX and BWI. Southwest is an exceedingly well run airline. Chances are they will be around long term. If you've got 25 years of flying to do you'll be a lot happier living in or near a domicile. Plus commuting in and out of COS means a long drive up to DEN before you even get on an airplane. If you've got to be there for the first flight out in the morning you may have to get up at 3 or 4AM to comfortably make an afternoon show. That's a lousy way top start a long 4 day trip.

RTM, I live in Castle Rock. I'm a 3rd year FO with SWA and I've commuted to OAK, MDW, and now PHX. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my phone #. The commute is not bad at all, but I can tell you the advantages/disadvantages of the three.

rtmcc74 said:
Advice solicited from those who have been there....

My thoughts: probably starting direct to Oakland soon, but how's the crashpad situation there?

OAK Crashpads. Not very many, not very cheap and not close. I run one in Alameda and I am full. It's 6 miles to the airport from Alameda. 5 of us have cars and the other one rides a bike. For my pad it is $220/month. Airport parking is $32/month. We use the crashpad for quality of life not costs.

Most commuters stay at the airport hotels.

Live where you want to live. I think people sometimes forget that flying is just a job. What's important is the happiness of your family and enjoying your time off. I commute and sometimes it's a pain, but when I have my days off, living where I want to live, it's all worth it.

I appreciate all the great feedback on this thread, lots to consider. For the guys who have PM'd me and welcomed me to the company, greatly appreciate it, and looking forward to the new gig. Crashpad and commute info, real good, please keep it coming.

747- why so bitter, man? Were you always this way, or just recently? I've looked at your previous posts, and all you do is crush anyone who dares disagree with you. Is that the only way you feel good about yourself, by bashing others? Honestly, if you don't have anything of value to contribute, please take your childish comments somewhere else, and let the rest of us try to accomplish something worthwhile. I think we'd all appreciate this.

Keeping the wife where she wants to live may be a short term solution. In the end however its a known fact that a lot of jobs require relocation. A lot of professionals have to relocate all the time and they do not have the option of commuting. Again its easy to tell a little white lie and say there is no commuting allowed or sorry the jumpseat is now for management only. It does wonders for QOL and you dont have to keep hanging on and abusing yourself.

Those guys who are telling you to move to do a domicile have obviously never lived in Colorado. Agree with the MDW advice - good seniority situation there and not a hard commute, PHX will be good at some point too. I have a rough commute and I love my job, but it is just a job. There's more to life than just work. You will probably be glad you have the reserve job in a few years and have flown into every airport 50 times, too. Good luck and have a Fat Tire for me, I miss that stuff..

As long as it's ok with the "Old Man", you are always welcome on our jumpseat!

Congrats on SWA!

Toob
(F9 Noob)

Latest resources

Back