• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA commute from Denver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Welcome!!!!!! My 2 cents. Don't do OAK. Hotels cost a lot, and you'll need a car for crash pads. Plus you have to give the great state of CA disability too(really pissed me off!). MDW is your shrot term best bet, no car needed, cheap crash pads, senority will go up the fastest. PHX, you'll need a car again for the crash pads, plus summer sucks!!!! If I was in your shoes, I'd go MDW in the summer get some seniority but keep an eye on PHX and where you sit. Then I'd go to PHX for the winter and stay based in better places based on weather. MDW is not fun during the winter. I'd rather drive in PHX that walk in the snow in MDW. Last, KEEP THE WIFE HAPPY!!!!!! Maybe someday DEN will become a domicile. If that happens, you'll see me up there with you!!!! Congrats again!!!

rtmcc74 said:
Advice solicited from those who have been there....

Starting SWA training in 3 weeks, so don't even know if I'll have a choice of home bases. I live in COS, so will be commuting out of DIA. Wondering if anyone out there does something like this, and what they've learned.

My thoughts: probably starting direct to Oakland soon, but how's the crashpad situation there? MDW has about 12 direct flights per day (SWA, UAL, Frontier) plus I hear the pads are a close walk, and not through the ghetto. PHX probably way too senior for a newbie, and BWI's a long way from the Rockies. Want to avoid the "move" option if I can; wifey's got a good job and I like the reserve unit I'm in out here.

Thanks in advance.

knowing folks who commute from denver (at least 80+ pilots/flight attendants) it seems the best (ie. easiest) cities to go to are MDW and PHX. right now MDW is quite a bit more junior but even PHX won't take long to hold (under a year). OAK may come first but no one gets a crash pad out there unless you plan to commute to there forever since they all require a car to get too... instead there are many low cost hotels that work with SWA crews. I think OAK first till you can hold MDW, then PHX if that appeals to you once you have the seniority.

boeing747-800 said:
don't bother getting on my jumpseat

Every pilot group has it's 10%....In my past, I've flown with guys like this "tool." My way of dealing with them was to just irritate them until they blew up.....Gosh that was fun !!!

Tejas

Tejas-Jet said:
Every pilot group has it's 10%....In my past, I've flown with guys like this "tool." My way of dealing with them was to just irritate them until they blew up.....Gosh that was fun !!!

Tejas

I like your style, works for me to. I like when they finally blow up after irritating them. You just look at them and say, "I was just messing with you man, lighten up." Works great everytime.

You can always buy a lot of tickets on F9 just to make sure you make it there! J/K - It's just that you're in our kitchen that's all. Happy for you man - love to help ya out when possible. I will tell you that our flights are pretty full on those destinations, but we'll probably be adding more as well.

Again, congrats.

M3

Is a crashpad necessary? Can't he drop his reserve days and pick up lines? And America West flies to COS directly to Phx.

Last edited:
Also, the odds of successfully dropping all reserve pairnings are slim...especially in MDW which is predominately a commuter base.

Latest resources

Back