Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's the game when retired Military??

Gentlemen...
Does anyone know what the game is when you are retired Military?
Sould you keep your military health care as primary and does SWA have a supplimental plan to augment whatever TRICARE/CHAMPUS doesn't catch?
Would it work the other way around?
What is (In your Opinion) the best way to go when it's time to make the call??

Thx

Having started class last year when my wife was pregnant with twins, I am intimately familiar with the SWA new-hire medical benefits.

From day 1, the pilot and entire family are covered by the "Regular" plan, which reimburses 80% of the 'standard and prevailing fees' for any medical procedure, appointment, etc. You then make your 'official' selections for the year in class, choosing from PPO plan A (more stuff for kids), plan B (cheaper), or the HMO. This coverage kicks in for all family members after one month (on the 30th or 31st day from hire date). Keep in mind, too, that the Flex Spending Acct only applies to expenses in one of the plans, not during that first 30 days, so don't plan on using those funds to cover deductibles from the first 30 days (as I mistakenly did).

Every year (in the fall), you make your selections again for the following year's coverage. The HMO is by far the cheapest, assuming you live in a populous area with lots of available doctors (as I do).

PM me with any questions.

Duckman-
Wish I could help you. Maybe the VA might have some idea? I am sure there are plenty of retirees reading the boards that will get back to you on that one. Do the benefits kick in for you immediately upon retirement or do you have to wait til age 60 like for the monthly pay? As for "Full Time Support" as they like to call us reserves who are in drilling on almost a daily basis, we have no tricare possibilities at all and have really missed it. I am on my wife's work policy which really , really sucks majorly and are paying out the a$$ for. We're changing to southwest's policy the minute we're in the door! If we still had tricare, I don't know which would be better. Good luck in finding the info, if you posted under a new thread, that might also bring more attention to your question!

Good luck!
Les

orionflyer - turn on your PMs!

Holy cow!!!
What a coincidence! I was amazed when I read your post!
My wife is pregnant right now, told possibly twins....still waiting for the ultrasound, which we have rescheduled for about a week after I start class.... will it be covered at all by SWA or do we have to wait one month from first day of class? You said you were mistaken about the FSA covering it...did you pay just the full 20% then? My wife thinks the same as you did before you found out the hard way. Any info would be greatly appreciated as we are switching from her lousy expensive health care to SWA's the minute we can... just want to make sure her pregnancy care isn't compromised.
Thanks and congratulations!
Les

Thanks UGA....
Yes..I'm retired at this time...in the pool. SHOULD be getting a call for a May class...(best guess based on my stack in da pool)
The retirement checks are coming in and the health care is full up and working well. (And we've really had to test it the last yr...unfortunately)
I'm sure there's a best way to work this...just looking for one of us "old retired farts" out there that has worked all the angles for recommendations on the best plan.

Thx.

Military healthcare, etc.

Duckman and other military retirees -

My understanding is that, if you sign on to healthcare coverage provided through an employer, Tricare/Champus becomes your supplemental/secondary health insurance. You don't get a choice: the government makes the rules and they aren't going to shell out the bucks for your "free" retiree healthcare if they can help it. The details are spelled out in the Tricare handbook and, if you can stand waiting on the phone line, you can also get more info by calling a Tricare benefits advisor (also, check the website.) They may make the rules, but I am not so sure that they can force you to accept coverage through an employer, so...

The best thing to do would be to run the numbers for yourself - would it be cheaper for you to go with the Southwest coverage and pay whatever premiums and use Tricare (which would still be free) as your supplemental OR would you be better off turning down the Southwest coverage, sticking with Tricare and paying for a Tricare/Champus supplement through the Retired Officers Assoc. or one of the many other companies that offers supplemental coverage to Tricare?

One Minor Change

Orionflyer said:
Having started class last year when my wife was pregnant with twins, I am intimately familiar with the SWA new-hire medical benefits.

From day 1, the pilot and entire family are covered by the "Regular" plan, which reimburses 80% of the 'standard and prevailing fees' for any medical procedure, appointment, etc. You then make your 'official' selections for the year in class, choosing from PPO plan A (more stuff for kids), plan B (cheaper), or the HMO. This coverage kicks in for all family members after one month (on the 30th or 31st day from hire date). Keep in mind, too, that the Flex Spending Acct only applies to expenses in one of the plans, not during that first 30 days, so don't plan on using those funds to cover deductibles from the first 30 days (as I mistakenly did).

I was in the Jan 12, 04 class. Orionflyer is exactly correct, with one minor change due to newer 2004 benefits. In 2004 they combined plan A and B together into one PPO plan. The new PPO plan has the same coverage as the old Plan A (more well baby/well child stuff) but at the cheaper plan B rate. How is that for getting more for less. SWA is great, isn't it? It is great coverage. Orion is still correct in that you are covered under the Regular Plan on day 1. As a matter of fact, they give you a health care card for it on day 1. You will have 30 days to make optional coverage changes (like electing for the PPO, dental, etc). Hope that helps.

AF

Duckman

After you retire you will be able to decide if you want to use Tricare or not. If you want to continue, you can just keep paying the premiums and keep it instead of the plan at Southwest. It is your option. I doubt very seriously, however, after you get the details from the SW plan and compare the costs to Tricare, that you will continue Tricare.

I retired a couple of years ago and while waiting in the pool used Tricare. After getting hired (by FedEx) we switched over to the FedEx plan. Our monthly premiums on Tricare prime were about the same as the FedEx plan, as were the copays for each visit and perscription. Tricare prime was actually just a couple of dollars cheaper. Even most of the doctors in our area where included in both plans.

The HUGE difference was that the FedEx plan included dental, whereas the Tricare had no dental coverage, it is a separate (and very expensive) plan. So for us we discontinued paying into Tricare prime and reverted to Tricare standard as a backup, but started paying into the FedEx plan. We just use our FedEx plan now and don't even mess with the Tricare. It has worked well for us.

If it weren't for the lack of included dental coverage, we could have stayed with Tricare prime and gotten the same care from the same doctors for a little less money.

Best of luck to you at SW.

FJ

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back