SWA buys ATA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

roughneck

Expect this to be announced soon. Had a company VP on the js this morning and that is what he said anyway.

He also said expect a European codeshare announcement with Lufthansa in the Fall.

15 737's, etops, hawaii, and a few gates elsewhere. We are filling their planes as it is. Why not make all the revenue instead of just a code share portion?

They have been restructured to model SWA. Why not?

BTW, I am just repeating what I was told this morning. It is no secret we need some debt to keep any potential LBO's away. We had hoped for the Delta Shuttle, but it looks like a long shot now. This may be plan B.

Last edited:
Buying ATA as a whole doesn't make sense due to dissimilar fleets and operations... 757's, DC-10's, L-1011's all doing Miltary/Charter work.

HOWEVER, an asset acquisition of the Codeshare, scheduled service routes/gates, and the 737 A/C certainly would make sense.

Do any of you really think that SWA inserted their man John Denison as the CEO of ATA just for the fun of it? Also, SWA has been in financial bed with the owners of ATA, Matlin-Patterson, for years.

This has all been carefully structured ( with Matlin-Patterson/ATA/John Denison ) over the last 2 years.

Now, let's see if it really happens...or maybe the VP in question just wanted to see how long it would take for his dis-information to hit FlightInfo?

LOL.

YKW

Last edited:
What will happen to the 757's? Or are all of those gone? Wasn't ATA going to buy some DC-10's from Northwest? :confused:

Sounds plausible to me. However, it there is any veracity to it, why would this VP at SWA be be letting the cat out of the bag to some line pilot?

Latest resources

Back