SWA Base Assignments given during training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OldManPilot

I am an AirTran pilot about to come over to SWA.

1. I would like to know when during training will you find out your base?

My wife and I plan on moving to either Phoenix or Las Vegas, and I am assuming those bases will be easiest to get into out of training.

2. How do the SWA pilots like these bases? (feel free to private message me if needed)

3. A bit of direction on what area of these cities to look in for housing. I do not require a big house or neighborhood. Even a nice Condo is possible. We have no kids, enjoy eating out and good nightlife, so somewhere near this type area would be preferable.

thanks for any assistance.

OMP

Vacancy bids close late in the month. Usually around the 25th or so. When you start class you will be able to enter a vacancy bid and you will be awarded a permanent base when the next vacancy bid closes. Could be right after you start class or it could be up to a month based on when you start.

Welcome aboard.

May be easy getting both Phoenix and Las Vegas right out of training, but if you look long term, Phoenix is much more senior than Vegas.
Also probably easier to pick up extra stuff in Vegas since it is more of a commuter base than Phoenix.
Phoenix has a bigger avoidance bid list than Vegas
Crappy air quality in the majority of Phoenix.

What's the joke about Southwest and PHX again?

"We have 7 bases and a squadron."

I am an AirTran pilot about to come over to SWA.

1. I would like to know when during training will you find out your base?

My wife and I plan on moving to either Phoenix or Las Vegas, and I am assuming those bases will be easiest to get into out of training.

2. How do the SWA pilots like these bases? (feel free to private message me if needed)

3. A bit of direction on what area of these cities to look in for housing. I do not require a big house or neighborhood. Even a nice Condo is possible. We have no kids, enjoy eating out and good nightlife, so somewhere near this type area would be preferable.

thanks for any assistance.

OMP

No kids and you both have flight priveldeges. Why don't you and the misses spend some time in these cities first and make an informed decision. One mans trash etc...

I would think off the top of my head if you enjoy nightlife and eating out then LAS would be out of the picture. There is nothing to do there ;-).

No kids and you both have flight priveldeges. Why don't you and the misses spend some time in these cities first and make an informed decision. One mans trash etc...

I would think off the top of my head if you enjoy nightlife and eating out then LAS would be out of the picture. There is nothing to do there ;-).

Nothing at all to do here- ;)

Tell you the truth if I had no kids and no business I'd move back to oakland-
Small airport, walk to work from the parking lot after a less than 20 minute drive, foodie heaven all around the lake, easy BART to the city-
Great life-

But then again, all that depends on if you're senior to me here in Vegas!

Where is the best place for a staplee to commute to reserve?

In all reality if you were hired at FL before the acquisition you won't be on West Coast reserve. 180 hired after the announcement plus the 200+ to be hired this year will be doing that. PHX OAK and Vegas aren't big enough bases to hold everyone that thinks they will be on West Coast reserve.

Latest resources

Back