• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA- Bags Fly Free But Fat Guys Pay Double

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But selling somebody a seat without telling them upfront that they may actually need to buy 2 is deceptive.

Yeah, maybe our website needs the ability to tell if someone is fat based on their IP address and charge their tickets accordingly ...

I don't see the problem here. If you take up two seats, you pay for two seats. If I buy one hotdog at the gas station, I pay for one hotdog. If I buy two hotdogs at the gas station, I pay for two. Passenger seats are no different.

A "person of size" should be accomodated just as any other passenger would be once they are on the flight. If a minor is found in an exit row, for example, passengers are asked to move.

Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to get married and be able to adopt kids!

No, I meant this

Basically they want your money first and then deny you boarding at the gate. And even if you do play their game, yet show up late (say due to a late connection) your "extra seat" may not be next to you anyhow.

It's best to buy 134 seats, just to make sure!

A "person of size" should be accomodated just as any other passenger would be once they are on the flight. If a minor is found in an exit row, for example, passengers are asked to move.

If a passengers size makes them a hazard to evacuating the aircraft, perhaps they really shouldn't be allowed to fly at all if their BandC seats put passenger in A at risk. That's a valid excuse. But selling somebody a seat without telling them upfront that they may actually need to buy 2 is deceptive.

Are you serious? Who do you fly for? I will GUARANTEE you that WN's policiy is more liberal than your airlines.

GUARANTEED.

Gup

We'll get to accomodating and bending over backwards for fat people after we get around to accomodating people with real diseases like Cancer or troops coming home from war.

Your analogy to the minor is meaningless. The minor is moved to another seat...which they are likely to be able to fit in without any complications. Your argument keeps failing because accomodations already exist for the self-control-challenged. It was already mentioned above that first class seats are readily available. Want the bigger seat? Be prepared to pay for it. Don't expect society to pick up your slack.

But selling somebody a seat without telling them upfront that they may actually need to buy 2 is deceptive.

This comment makes absolutely no freaking sense. The FAA also says you cannot carry drunks, does your airline say that upfront? Common sense dictates if you can't fit into one seat on an airplane, you need to buy another. You buy one seat for a flight, if you need more than that you will have to pay for it. Is that so hard to comprehend? I swear, sometimes I wonder how some people on this forum passed flight training.

How about a 7 foot guy? Does he have to buy the seat in front of him because that person can't recline?

A person over a certain weight can be covered by the American With Disabilities Act. Airlines carry on board wheelchairs. Why not make an accomodation for large passengers with a number of oversize seats?

Good idea, call them. Oh, never mind about that call. SWA went through all the appeal court process on this and won ever one. This is all very old news . (about 15 years old)

Latest resources

Back