• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/ATA revisited

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you have any facts about the incidents? Did they not happen? I hope I am wrong and it is just a rumor.

And tanker, I am in a position where I fly for fun, not money. Took a bit of time to get here (and a smart wife!) but now, I do get to choose and not worry if my kids will eat....ever. This industry is a disaster and I will NEVER depend on it.

never mind

I guarantee there isn't 1 pilot at ATA that wouldn't work at SWA given the chance. They have been creamn' their pants for years with the hopes that the codeshare would turn into an eventual purchase. They'd fight each other to the emergency exit of that airline if SWA took their 73's. And now some of them come on here and spout b.s. like, "I dont want to do 6 legs a day" and other nonsense....like we are supposed to believe that? They would work at SWA just so they don't have to hear acquaintances say "oh I love Airtran" or "so do you fly passengers or cargo" when they tell them they are a pilot for ATA.

Bottom line is, IF SWA ever came and wanted anything from ATA (which is a big IF, because they have NOTHING of value), SWA would be better off hiring pilots of the street to fly acquired ATA 737's than to take that disgruntled group. The best place for ATA is in the scrapheap of airlines of the past.

ATA would be stripped of our scheduled flying while charter flying will be moved to World while SWA takes our skeleton of an international airline. The hedge fund company makes a fortune with World and SWA makes a fortune by expanding internationally with ATA's backbone.

uhm no. World is doing just fine without "ATA's backbone". Or, did you mean "ATA's unprofitable backbone"? So we got a couple DC-10's that were originally slated for ATA? Had we not, it wouldn't have affected World negatively in the least. Remember, World is the only GAL airline that is profitable and that was the case before GAL redirected the 10's and it is the case now.

on a side note, I don't blame GAL one bit for designating the NWA 10's to the airline that can operate them profitably.

Not to have a pissing match here but things should be kept in perspective.

Last edited:
Remember, World is the only GAL airline that is profitable and that was the case before GAL redirected the 10's and it is the case now.

on a side note, I don't blame GAL one bit for designating the NWA 10's to the airline that can operate them profitably.

Not to have a pissing match here but things should be kept in perspective.

Please, let us keep this in perspective! One of the main reasons World operates the Dc-10's "profitably" is because of the whores that operate them at the equivalent of $127/hour at 10 year Capt pay. (ATA 10 Year Capt at 75 hours guarantee is $148/hr, World 10 Year Capt pay adjusted for 75 hours guarantee is $127/hr.) $127 for a friggn heavy? Go get checked for clap man cuz you a ho! And make sure you get that free condom in your paycheck next time WabiSabi!

Last edited:
"your management?" I don't work for SWA. I'm an outside observer. And my observation is that if SWA were to aquire you guys, you should be happy to be part of a winning team for a change. If that means you get stapled, then that's what it means. I realize you spent X amount of years at ATA...but you would at least be getting stapled at SWA. You should consider yourselves fortunate that it wasn't more of a TWA/AMR type deal. You'd probably get pay protected and not be looking at a furlough. As it is right now, your outlook isn't good.

Heck, if SWA were to outright buy your assets, they probably wouldn't even have to offer an interview...so if they stapled you guys then that would be a bonus for you. Better money and QOL. Then again, it's America. You can take your talents elsewhere. It's up to you.

And to think, with all this knowledge, there's a Starbucks out there just waiting for this energetic, young, smart lad to be their next coffee server!:laugh:

Please, let us keep this in perspective! One of the main reasons World operates the Dc-10's "profitably" is because of the whores that operate them at the equivalent of $127/hour at 10 year Capt pay. (ATA 10 Year Capt at 75 hours guarantee is $148/hr, World 10 Year Capt pay adjusted for 75 hours guarantee is $127/hr.) $127 for a friggn heavy? Go get checked for clap man cuz you a ho! And make sure you get that free condom in your paycheck next time WabiSabi!

You have no idea what you're talking about. Year 1 Captain's pay on the 10 was 141hr and now it is 145hr as of this month. For years 1 through 9, ATA's DC-10 Captain's pay is well behind World's and they finally reach parity at 148hr in year 10.

Your attempts at mucking it up with your "adjusted per guarantee" is completely bogus. Hourly rate is hourly rate. Even with your "adjustments", it doesn't make up for the dismal 1st 9 years of DC-10 Captain's pay at ATA. Also, lets consider for a moment that your adjustment thinking had any validity. Reserve guarantees at World is 76 hours and ATA's is 75. What does that do to your fuzzy math? Since your "adjustment" method is flawed, I will digress.

Get your facts straight before posting, Mr "Perspective".:rolleyes:

World

ATA (L-1011 and DC-10 are the same pay)

Your referring to World's pilots as "whores" is completely ignorant not to mention stupid. We have a great group of pilots here with strong solidarity in our union and our pay, bennies and work rules are in the top echelons of ACMI's.

Spare us your ignorant comments from the "peanut gallery" as it is obvious that you don't work for either airline.

To the real ATA pilots; I wish you all the best of luck for your jobs......unless of course that means taking mine:D.

Seriously though, good luck.

Last edited:
I also don't want to work for SWA. Maybe a secure place now, but who knows. Is it true that a deadheading pilot took pics of a wing coverd with snow leaving PHL and turned the crew in because they didn't get de-iced? (heard they got fired!) What about the crew who got 60 days off for powering down an a/c beacuse the ops agent told them everyone was off and somehow there was still pax on it? (sounds like the crew got a raw deal there!) How about the 67 degree bank and 30 letters to SWA going into LAX a few weeks ago? Is any this stuff true or just rumor? I though SWA was a family place that took care of thier own and not a place where people turn each other in. Is it becoming a mature airline like the rest of the industry? Not trying to put SWA down, just tired of the SWA types that come on here pounding thier chests all the time. It's getting old fellas and you're giving the rest of your crewmembers a bad rap.

1st two are true, not sure about the LAX story. :(

I guarantee there isn't 1 pilot at ATA that wouldn't work at SWA given the chance. They have been creamn' their pants for years with the hopes that the codeshare would turn into an eventual purchase. They'd fight each other to the emergency exit of that airline if SWA took their 73's. And now some of them come on here and spout b.s. like, "I dont want to do 6 legs a day" and other nonsense....like we are supposed to believe that? They would work at SWA just so they don't have to hear acquaintances say "oh I love Airtran" or "so do you fly passengers or cargo" when they tell them they are a pilot for ATA.

Bottom line is, IF SWA ever came and wanted anything from ATA (which is a big IF, because they have NOTHING of value), SWA would be better off hiring pilots of the street to fly acquired ATA 737's than to take that disgruntled group. The best place for ATA is in the scrapheap of airlines of the past.

Edited, because it's not worth getting booted over this loser.

I've been coming to this site for years now and have never seen a more mis-informed, idiotic post than this one. I could go on and tell you how much of a d0u$#bag you are but I'm sure everyone around you is already well aware of this. You were beaten alot as a kid for opening your mouth I bet.

ESPRIT

So are you guys saying you'd rather not fly than fly for WN?

Interesting opinion.

Gup

Don't take this personally, but given the choice of flying that both companies do, I'd pick ATA hands down, regardless of money. I could have left long ago for a higher paying job but find this type of flying more rewarding. Believe it or not, but there are quite a few of us here that feel this way, and will find other employment opportunities in the remote chance WN takes over.

ESPRIT

Latest resources

Back