SWA/ATA codeshare ending?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hamburger said:
The whole thing was simple. Had ATA gone chapter 7, MDW gates would have gone up for bid and there is no way the City of Chicago would have sold them all to SWA. So they get into the loan sharking business. Here's some money, pay us back at the end of the month. Don't have the money? no problem, we'll just take one of your gates as payment. Not enough to meet the vic next month? No problem, we'll just take another gate. All your gates are gone? Well, we'll sell the stock and you can owe someone else.
You've already got a deal worked out with AWA? A deal that integrates the list and the employees keep their jobs? Well, we'll place a little call to Boeing and see how they feel about AWA's plans for the ATA leases. Hmmm, imagine that, they didn't like your plan as much as you thought they would. Don't worry, we'll make the whole thing easier by installing a puppet to be your new CEO, a man who couldn't possibly have anything other than the best interests of ATA at heart.

Big business in the new millenium. Find a way to get around the cumbersome shackels of a free marketplace and get 14? gates at MDW without having to bother with bids and anti-trust issues.

With any luck, when the violation is finally complete, ATA will be able to limp back to some charter/military work.

There is a lot of talk about the TWA/AA similarities. There is one major difference, however. TWA guys have an AA number and will be recalled someday.

Business is tough. You don't like it, go do something else. SWA isn't in the game to make friends and save other companies employees. If we have to take you down to help our business then so be it. Tough luck. Get management who doesn't suck and help yourself.

Only the strong surive in the business world. Deal.

7S3W7A said:
Business is tough. You don't like it, go do something else. SWA isn't in the game to make friends and save other companies employees. If we have to take you down to help our business then so be it. Tough luck. Get management who doesn't suck and help yourself.

Only the strong surive in the business world. Deal.

WOW!!!! Tough luck eh? Hopefully you won't be on the receiving end of that TOUGH LUCK one day. Of course you won't....SWA is infallable right?

If you notice, I never said anything about it being anything but business. However business is supposed to have rules. I don't see how 14 gates could've been had at MDW without a little circumventing of the rules. But you are correct, business is business.

From your other posts, you seem upset at the treatment you recieve from SWAPA and those greedy senior pilots. My favorite is when you declare that you are dusting off your logbooks to apply at FedEx. Run out of LUV, have we?

What's the matter, losing pay and days off? Don't like the new work rules? It's just business.

Only the strong survive in the Business World. Deal.

Last edited:
Spoken like a real jacka$$. I remember some legacy airline pilots say the exact thing, you know, many of those who are in or were in CH11.

Get management who doesn't suck and help yourself.
When was the last time you "Got Management" or had anything to do with the success of your airline other than just pushing the controls.

By the way, I don't expect SWA or any airline to "save" my little airline. We have been flying around the world for the past 34 years just fine. We might have had a bad year or two but we are coming back and don't need anything from jerks like you.

Jacka$$!

My apologies to the other 99.9% of SWA pilots who either don't feel the same as this jerk or at least have the courtesy not to say it outside of the crew room.

Last edited:
Yeah, well it's better than the bull$hit "preferential interview" ATA guys got from SWA.

I guess, Chicago Express didn't qualify for the Free Pass in the interview process. Preferential interview doesn't mean - "hey can you start Monday?" It means = we will call you ahead of other applicants (that have been in the system longer then you) becuase we feel bad for you. How many people have gotten your version of the Free Pass at UPS? Besides you? Or did you have to interview there - LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE?!

:pimp: "its hard out here for a Pimp"

Last edited:
SWA/FO said:
It means = we will call you ahead of other applicants (that have been in the system longer then you) becuase we feel bad for you.

Actually, it was pressure from the City of Chicago as a precondition of getting control of our gates; otherwise, it wouldn't have even been that. Feelings never entered into the picture.

Actually, Southwest has done it before for other companies. We have had job fairs for other airline employees. Don't think the City of Chicago made Southwest be nice. Now, we might have let Chicago think they made us do it, but we would have done it anyway. Feelings play a big part of that. Fact is nobody but SWA was in position to fly "the required number" of flights out of those gates.

Did you mean to say "you're right SWA/FO" cus thats what I'm hearing.

SWA/FO, it was in the papers in Chicago. It was told to our union and our company. It's public record.

Daley said there would be no net loss of jobs at MDW because of this deal, otherwise the city would not sign off.

While SWA has been hiring many of our pilots of late, and it's much appreciated, they haven't hired 10% of our employees. (BTW, you're getting some good people and there are plenty more still here that want to work for SWA.)

Latest resources

Back