• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/ATA codeshare ending?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After looking at the news articles and the lack of communication from ATA MGMT. Lets see what they already have from us.

1. MDW gates.

2. IND routes.

3. Total destruction of the former ATA route system.

At this point they are batting .750

All that is left.... ETOPS routes to Hawaii and training on postion reporting.

At that point they will be batting 1000

ATA is done for when SWA has this certification from the FAA and regulatory commissions in other countries. That is exactly whet they wanted from the beginning. The fat lady is warming up!

Just my $.02

After looking at the news articles and the lack of communication from ATA MGMT. Lets see what they already have from us.

1. MDW gates.

2. IND routes.

3. Total destruction of the former ATA route system.

At this point they are batting .750

All that is left.... ETOPS routes to Hawaii and training on postion reporting.

At that point they will be batting 1000

ATA is done for when SWA has this certification from the FAA and regulatory commissions in other countries. That is exactly whet they wanted from the beginning. The fat lady is warming up!

Just my $.02

You forgot to mention that there are some people that are still at ATA that have jobs due to the codeshare/SWA investment. I guess the other option was chapter 7. Not a flame, just looking at the positive side.

J3CubCapt said:
I read both articles and my vertict is.....NO. I didn't even hear a hint of that in either.

J3

You haven't been following this history very closely, have you?

SWA has moved into just about every one of our markets. Due to the scope provisions of SWAPA we've been required to pull back. KDEN is a great example. ATA was doing "alright" in KDEN. The codeshare started and there was a significant bump. The we started doing KDEN-KPHX with a B757-300 and BOOM! Loads on that route were great from day one, and almost exclusively SWA codeshare passengers.

Look what we're doing now. HI, and MDW (DFW, DCA, LGA, and HOU). We're just holding onto slots.

LearAv8r said:
You forgot to mention that there are some people that are still at ATA that have jobs due to the codeshare/SWA investment. I guess the other option was chapter 7. Not a flame, just looking at the positive side.

As time goes past, I'm thinking more and more that Ch. 7 was probably a better deal. Like taking a band-aide off quickly rather than slow and painfully. Although, that was not the origional deal. FL made an offer, so did AWA, but for some reason ;) they fell through.

seems like ancient history but I think SWA outbid us (AWA) for ATA. Can anyone confirm this my memory is vague on this one?

In hindsight it might have been a better deal for ATA pilots to have been merged with awa. Atleast they would all have a seniority number instead of preferential interviews.

Financing for the AWA offer evaporated just before SWA made their offer. Various rumors as to why. One includes SWA influencing Boeing. Just a rumor. Another was that Parker didn't want to renew 737 leases, and Boeing, as well as others, balked.

Allegedly, the pilot groups and the FA groups had already worked out an integration deal, too.

Water under the bridge now.

To be totally honest with respect to this codeshare. SWA has done nothing but destroy a good company. Granted we may have been in business a bit longer with their financing but in the end its just a slow part by part death that has been handed to us. SWA has no idea how much has been gained to them with the destruction of the ATA route system that we worked so hard to produce.

Due we need to remind everyone that our current CEO is ex SWA mgmt. Hmmm. I really wonder were those true colors lie. Can you say direct line between Dennison (ATA) and Kelly (SWA) on the cell phone. I am sure there isn't one decision made here without a call to Dallas Corporate.

When SWA has ETOPS approval, ATA will cease to exist.

>>SWA has no idea how much has been gained to them with the destruction of the ATA route system that we worked so hard to produce.<<

Actually, I believe they do. I was at ATA when the deal went down. The more I thought about it the more it became obvious what was happening. What SWA did was a sheer brilliant move, for SWA that is. SWA controls MDW now directly and indirectly through the codeshare. I hope ATA makes it. I have alot of friends there.

My .02

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back