• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AT differences on Trip Trading/OPs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are some things that you can do at AT that you can't do at SW but that's understandable because AT has 25%+ of the pilots in each assignment on reserve. Personally I would prefer the SW system where there are more (very efficient) lines and less reserve....it's hard to fly beyond guarantee on reserve and make any money. The high reserve percentage and inefficient schedules at AT represent millions of dollars in above guarantee money that is not being earned by a sizable percentage of the pilot group. How many pilots at SW go for essentially YEARS only earning guarantee like the AT reserve pilots will be doing?

At one division of the company we have highly efficient lines that pay well with lots of days off and a small reserve percentage. At the other division where the pilots are doing the same job we see inefficient lines with lower pay, less days off and tons of pilots on reserve making guarantee. The bad news is that at AT is going to just keep getting worse as the airplane count decreases and more flying is moved to SW.

AT and SW are two totally separate planets in the SWA corporate solar system. It's going to be a long, bumpy road for the decreasing number of pilots stuck on the AT side as the company unwinds, things will get worse for these folks long before they get better.

Say you're a captain and wifey wants a new pool, work your a$$ off one month and pay for it!
Good Luck,
KBB

I could say I'm the emperor, but the Kulture Kommittee has ensured I won't be seeing the kapitan's seat for quite some time, if ever.

messueris vestro, quid seminat, seminare

Long story short, you can work as little or as much as you want here!!! Say you're a captain and wifey wants a new pool, work your a$$ off one month and pay for it! Stories floating around of guys working over their vacation last summer with 300+ trips and gross income for the month over $60k but I can't confirm that. (yes, you can work over your vacation here but me personally prefer my time off!)

True, MDW mid level Captian, 43000 number. Worked last summer over vacations every other week. June was about 298 and July was 348. That was about 120k in two months. Saw his board first hand. Good for him, it's nice to be able to do this if you please.

Is there a phone alerting system for when a trip appears in Open Time or Elitt that meets certain parameters that you've set?

For example, at AT, we use the FLICA system, which a bunch of other airlines use as well. Awesome and easy to use. One of the items is called Flica Alert. You set up the parameters and then Flica notifies you via text message the instant a trip appears in Open time no matter if that trip is a result of Crew Scheduling building it, a sick call, a pilot self-drop, or whatever. You get on your smartphone, access Flica in a few seconds, and bam..it's yours if someone else hasn't beaten you to it. No seniority, cartel, or gaming nonsense; simply first come, first serve.

Just curious to know if there is anything at SWA like that?

AT system sounds better.
I truely hope that SWA & SWAPA will approach this with an open mind and be willing to look at and study the possibility of bringing FLICA over to SWA. If it is shown to benefit our Internal Customers, then it should be given a shot at implementation.

I'm sure that the fine folks at FLICA would be happy to set up a full on demonstration with all parties. One important thing to note - FLICA can do A LOT of stuff, but it is up to the particular airline's management to decide which "switches" they want turned on. This is where SWAPA Scheduling Committee would need to shine in order to ensure full access and transparancy.

If SWA truely wants to get serious about state of the art I.T., this would be a prominent spoke in the wheel.

Being able to flat out drop trips would be nice- and in the scheme of things, wouldn't cost much bc most pilots have a target tfp to reach every month- somebody will do the dropped flying-
What restrictions are there? I wouldn't imagine every pilot at AT can drop on Christmas ...
Apologies if it's been covered, but I've been a bit unplugged

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back