• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AT differences on Trip Trading/OPs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can pick up a trip, but not the one I want from Elit...only from another pilot. But all those trips I don't want.

You can pick up a trip from ELITT, but it requires some work. I call it the "poor man's pickup", but essentially you need to get on ELITT at an "off" time. Trade your trip in ELITT for another trip on the same days. The key is to make sure you can trade back into ELITT. Now trade back into ELITT for the same trip you just put in, while selecting another trip that you want which you are legal for (so trading one trip in while selecting two trips in ELITT). Process the trade and now you have your original trip, plus the trip you wanted to pick up on your board. The Net Zero should change for the base. Since you're kind of being thrown into the middle of ELITT, it may take a little getting used to. Once you learn some "tricks" which to most pilots are just a normal ELITT thought process, it becomes a useful tool. I don't think I have any trips from my original line on my board.

You can pick up a trip from ELITT, but it requires some work. I call it the "poor man's pickup", but essentially you need to get on ELITT at an "off" time. Trade your trip in ELITT for another trip on the same days. The key is to make sure you can trade back into ELITT. Now trade back into ELITT for the same trip you just put in, while selecting another trip that you want which you are legal for (so trading one trip in while selecting two trips in ELITT). Process the trade and now you have your original trip, plus the trip you wanted to pick up on your board. The Net Zero should change for the base. Since you're kind of being thrown into the middle of ELITT, it may take a little getting used to. Once you learn some "tricks" which to most pilots are just a normal ELITT thought process, it becomes a useful tool. I don't think I have any trips from my original line on my board.

You'd be shocked how many guys DO NOT KNOW how to do this on the SW property!!!

KBB

This also how someone can completely drop a trip...Once someone does above, the net Zero in that domicile goes plus 3 (or however many day trip was removed from open time.) The Net Zero now shows the number of duty periods that can be dropped into open time. Then you can perform in reverse order by selecting 2 of your trips...Trading with one of the company's trips then quickly trading back for the trip you had that you wanted to keep. Only catch is DTC (Duty to cover Limits) which restricts how many duty periods can be on the company's lap. Then you also have to deal with restrictions that SWAPA imposed on us, like we can only drop 4 duty periods in the company's lap...I know it's extremely complicated! AND unless the guy you are flying with is a tournament level Cartel member, a lot of guys are not going to have any idea what you are talking about. You want to see a deer in the headlights look, ask the guy your flying with about OTP (Open time priority). That always gets some fun answers. There are still tons of guys that only fly their awarded line and have no idea about ANY of this stuff.

THE KEY to it all is being able to do it and do it quick (And be careful when you do it, there are always guys lurking for the net zero to go a positive #) Ive been burned doing crazy stuff, it's the chance you take. And never try anything off the wall on the 25th after your domicile's ELLITT opens...It gets crazy in there.

Good Luck,
KBB

There should be some type of minimum coverage.

So if incorrect=please tell me how I have 6 days off and in Elit I would like to add a 3 day...how? You can highlight the trip, but can not click on the save disk as it doesn't turn amber.

Really 4 days look out of open time?

How do I drop a three day on the 18th?

The net zero is pretty much always at zero. (AT guys=thats like the day is blocked, but cant trade a 4 day to a 3 day cause at zero,,,if net zero is 1 then one pilot can lose a duty period, then it changes back to zero and no one can lose a duty period) So no you can't just drop a trip like AT can.

The guys that says incorrect does not back it up with how...

Airtran can trade for all of Sept and if the day is black or red it is blocked=you have to work that day. If those days are green. You can trade away.

So far SWAPA needs to look at Airtran side of the trip trading and head back to 11.5% 401K matching.

Got an issue? Here's a tissue. You aren't at the Tran any longer, so please don't ruin it for those who will cross over sometime maybe this decade with your whining to our new co-workers about how things were at the well oiled AirTran machine.

Kinda like, "it's primitive and inefficient, but that's how we've always done it at Southwest"

I use to work at Airtran. So, I know Airtran sucked and never once thought anything was better over there.

Also, things aren't perfect at SWA, but damn close!

Latest resources

Back