• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AT differences on Trip Trading/OPs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are some helpful things in the AirTran way of trip dropping, that's for certain. The ability to straight-drop a trip if the coverage is positive is certainly nice. Of course, with the reserves we're carrying it's not a problem, they'll just assign it to a reserve before the 48 hour run-down for Premium Pay so it never goes Premium.

With the reserves we carry on the other side, AIN"T EVER GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Overall I like their system better, but it would be nice to be able to straight drop and have open time available the entire month. It sure is nice to do 90% of my trading in the first 24-48 hours after daily is open, have my line almost exactly like I want and able to give that schedule to the fiance' for monthly social calendar planning for the entire month and not waiting to see what I can snag 4 days prior.

I don't have a problem with the best of both but IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Heard heard the phrase, fly it like a 200? That may not have originated here BUT they sure as hell have continued to use it as long as possible and when in doubt, you'll hear someone say it and/or do it! Change is difficult around here!

Sounds like if you want to really work the system, you have to practically live on your computer???

BINGO, We have a winner, if you've already figured this out you're ahead of the game, some guys never get it and IF you want to be a "tournament level player" ie. game the system, you have to be a slave to the system, join a cartel, or get the "Sniper program" for the open time system...AND LIVING IN DOMICILE DOESN'T HURT!!!

Good Luck,
KBB

There are some helpful things in the AirTran way of trip dropping, that's for certain. The ability to straight-drop a trip if the coverage is positive is certainly nice. Of course, with the reserves we're carrying it's not a problem, they'll just assign it to a reserve before the 48 hour run-down for Premium Pay so it never goes Premium.

Overall I like their system better, but it would be nice to be able to straight drop and have open time available the entire month. It sure is nice to do 90% of my trading in the first 24-48 hours after daily is open, have my line almost exactly like I want and able to give that schedule to the fiance' for monthly social calendar planning for the entire month and not waiting to see what I can snag 4 days prior.

Sounds like if you want to really work the system, you have to practically live on your computer???

The awesome thing about ELLIT is you can trade a trip up until 4 days before you have to fly it...if you want to. If you like your line, and just want to pick up a little turn try monthly open time. If you are not thrilled with your line...or want to optimize it, the 25th when ELLIT opens, you can take your schedule and add 10 trips to it easily without loosing a day off. Or turn a 2-day into a 3-day, wich is what you wanted to do anyways. When you do that then I can take my 3-day and turn it into a two day. You win and I win, without seniority getting in the way. Also, trip trade giveaway can help you get rid of a trip .

I rarely run into a situation where I can't get what I need off (sick time has nothing to do with this). If I know about something before the 25th of the previous month I can make it happen 9 times out of 10. The one thing I have learned as a junior guy is that first hour of ELLIT on the 25th is by far the most important hour of the entire month. Usually after that hour I have what I need for the next month...and if I feel like picking something else up later, trip trade giveaway or open time are my resources. Even ELLIT can help.

Last edited:
Just to clear this up. So are you saying all swap/drops must be done by the 25th? Or can you do it into your flying month on a 24/7 basis. I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you have daily open time?

Just to clear this up. So are you saying all swap/drops must be done by the 25th? Or can you do it into your flying month on a 24/7 basis. I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you have daily open time?

No, trip trading with the company BEGINS on the 25th of the month prior, and then runs continuously though-out the month.

Trading with other pilots begins even earlier in the month.

Yes, its 24/7.

Yes, there is daily open time, but that is quite different than the trip trading that begins on the 25th.

There's also Monthly open time and a few other ways to gain/loose/maneuver trips.

the 25th is big because it's the day ELLIT opens for the following month. What that means is all of the trips that are uncovered for the following month are available for trade starting the 25th of the previous month. That's a big deal, they can be weekday trips, they can be juicy $$$ trips. So you can get your lame trips, and trade them with the trips on ELLIT. Thing is, usually by an hour after it opens on the 25th, most of the trips have been recycled...there are still gems depending on what you have but the good stuff starts to disappear. Most open flying migrates to the weekend, unless the Captain on the trip is a ******************************, then his trips start to appear even in the middle of the week. Its like trading stock, it really is.

By the 30 or 31st, now you must proceed with caution as ELLIT is full of landmines. Trips that would be awesome except for the captain flying the trip. Happens all of the time where a select group of captains trips are always on ELLIT. In Orlando a certain Rick and a certain Don's trips are always on ELLIT...guaranteed.

Latest resources

Back