SWA announces new Denver service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm serious.
Anybody know about the downfall of the go-go boots? Free booze? (Didn't even know the did that.) They died under Herb's watch for certain. What the hell happened? :confused:

...childhood dreams of becoming a well respected and compensated airline pilot. The envy of many! Well, I made it as an airline pilot, as for the well respected, and compensated...*sigh*

I'll take the bait...

It seems you can fulfill your childhood dreams by striving to get hired at Southwest:

1) Airline Pilot at a very well positioned company.

2) Well compensated: the chatter on these boards indicates nice compensation for work done.

3) Well respected: that's going to take some work, based upon the slant of your posts here. As we all should have learned years ago, respect is not given, it is earned, continuously.

4) The envy of many. Sometimes envy can manifest itself in ugly ways. There are some examples of that in this very thread. Reread for enlightenment.

I understand how you would believe that to be true but I will continue to call BS on your assumption until everyone hired before 9-11 took a lie detector test and I saw the results with my own 2 eyes. What current pilot at swa hired pre 9-11 is going to admit that swa was their booby prize. They would be shunned by all the post 9-11 kool-aid drinkers yall have over there! yall are living in a fantasy world created by your management team not grounded in reality.

Why don't you private message me your email address and I'll send you my "welcome aboard" letter from Delta AND American - both pre 9/11.

Gup

I have nothing against WN...but I'd really like to see F9 succeed; and the gloating attitude of some of you guys is in bad taste IMHO.

As I was approaching the security line in PIT a while back I see a bunch of people in the crew line. I initially thought they were regular passengers or non-revers trying to sneak through more quickly and since the line was so long I began to proceed to the front when one of these unprofessional looking people asked where I was going, I responded that this is for crews only. Yup, you guessed it, they were all southworst FA's. Needless to say I never fly swa and had no idea what their "uniform" (and I use that term loosely) looked like. I couldn't believe an airline would condone such an unprofessional and disheveled look from their employees. If they were rampers maybe, but a flight crew? Atrocious!

Someone mentioned hot pants and go go boots back in the day? Well it's a good thing they are not wearing that attire any longer with the winners they are hiring now, because the cleaning crew would constantly be cleaning up the vomit that most people would spew at the sight of these folks.

I think that SWA's FA uniforms are a little more professional than the average FA uniform. Since the FA's are the ones that would be handling the evac in the cabin during an emergency, I would say that sneakers are better than heels and dockers and cotton golf shirts are more flame retardant than polyester business skirts and slacks.

I too would like to see the animal tails succeed. I think they got a raw deal from the credit card companies.

As far as SWA carrying nothing but criminals and trailer trash, well, we carry more people around the US than any other carrier. The crime problem in this country must be worse than I thought. :eek:

I'll take the bait...

It seems you can fulfill your childhood dreams by striving to get hired at Southwest:

1) Airline Pilot at a very well positioned company.

2) Well compensated: the chatter on these boards indicates nice compensation for work done.

3) Well respected: that's going to take some work, based upon the slant of your posts here. As we all should have learned years ago, respect is not given, it is earned, continuously.

4) The envy of many. Sometimes envy can manifest itself in ugly ways. There are some examples of that in this very thread. Reread for enlightenment.

I couldn't disagree more about being well compensated. 190 bucks an hour for a senior major airline pilot is far from impressive. Just 10 years ago in 1997-1999 most NWA, AA, CAL were being paid about 170 an hour on similar equipment. In the present year 2008 that would have to be 220 an hour just to maintain the same earning power. And that 170 hour rate was before the acceptable contracts that United earned in late 2000 and Delta in 2001 which had 737 guys at 220 bucks an hour, and that was 7 years ago. Today that would have to be 267 for the same earning power. As far as I'm concerned you guys are about 75 an hour short from being well compensated.

Maybe one of SWA secrets is that it has (had) dedicated managers, a CEO which enjoyed his job and cared for his employees as well.The longevity of the folks on the directors board was also a factor.
It seems to me that other airlines every 5-6 years they change CEO and most sadly they employ someone who doesn' t care of employee at all.
Where I work is almost the same (with some differences from SWA).
Hopefully nobody will loose their job in this crazy industry.

Just a consideration.
Hope

shoot, some of those new routes there's 3 other airlines already doing it.

A 4th choice for non-stop. All these capacity issues and WN's added flights just to try to drive others out.

In a few years of this oil, they'll be loosing money, then the kool-aid will dry up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back