SWA and Visitation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

keeb

I would appreciate any insight anyone might have who has gone through a similar situation.

I am currently in the SWA pool toward the bottom, interviewed 6SEP and typed 18 DEC and am now waiting to start. My wife and I are very recently seperated and we have 2 little kids. Being a new guy at an airline and an average 16 day/month work schedule plus Navy reserve duty that are not the same days month to month how do you set up a visitation schedule? Has anyone had to deal with this unfortunate situation?

Thanks in advance. Yes, I am keeping my head above water even though the water is deep and I was just thrown a lead weight to hold while treading.

Keeb

Visitation

My recommendation:

Working with your ex directly (if feasible) or through your attorney have the separtion agreement recognize your work schedule and allow for flexibility to your visitation (or co-custody) schedule on a month to month basis (ie; 12 days a month, days tbd monthly).

The preference would be to work directly with your ex on this and all separation matters and then have the attorneys formalize the agreement for the legal paperwork.

A positve aspect with the airline lifestyle is that you'll be abe to have custody during weekdays and have a semblence of a normal routine with the kids; ie instead of visiting for 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday you can have them for 3-4 days at a time if you desire.

You can point out the economic advantage to your ex about this scenario vis-a-vis her savings for child care when she has to work and you are able to take of the kids.

It's a lousy situation, but you have to make the best of it. Staying on speaking terms with the ex and maintaining a cooperative relationship with her in regard to the children will be in their best interest.

Good Luck,

SeeYa in DAL

Keeb,

If your kids live in the same town as your reserve unit use your military leave option. Of the 16 days a month you should be working for SWA take 5 or 6 of those as scheduled military leave each month. Go to your unit in the morning fly a hop or rearrange the papers on your desk, be done by noon and then spend the rest of the day with the kids. The advantages are that 1) your first year, your time with the reserve pays better than your time with SWA and 2) you decide what days you take military leave so you can plan it as far ahead as you want and be pretty certain you will be available. The only catch is I'm not sure what SWAs policy is on military leave, but I would bet its very flexible. Just a thought.

Fly Safe
ck130

Latest resources

Back