• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and IPADS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would they reimburse him now before a he's allowed to use them?
If he's group 1 or 2, they're covered already? Before the rest of us? and have covers and mounts for the Air that the company said they need to do any claims?

Because they agreed to cover them the day they required us to buy them. Even without the case.

First partial shipment of cases are in the DAL office waiting for paperwork to be completed. Looking to be on track for end of May.

Oh, I didn't know that.
I just assumed they weren't covered until the case was on

Oh, I didn't know that.
I just assumed they weren't covered until the case was on
that's what we thought as well.

Then the cases took about two months longer than they wanted, although still inside their May start date. So they announced if you buy it, it's covered case or not.

Now, two months from now, you better have a case on it.

The cases are pretty cool, word is they are custom made for SWA to be both a case and mount. In other words, a pilot took charge and got it done.

From what I've heard, will ware and that team have done a great job- technically, AND navigating both corporate and govt beaurocracy

Well done

From what I've heard, will ware and that team have done a great job- technically, AND navigating both corporate and govt beaurocracy

Well done

Will has done an unbelievable job, some of the FAA bureaucracy has been mind numbing.

Will the iPads be used for in flight weather? Or just for charts and manuals? Just curious about the inter-connectivity. Can you use an external GPS like the Bad Elf or Garmin GLO? Do you use the geo-referencing on the charts? What about on the planes that have wi-fi? Can you connect to it? Is there a place in the cockpit you can plug it in to charge?

I know there is a lot of capability out there, but just curious how Southwest is going to use them. The Army is allowing iPads in the cockpit, but in typical military fashion, so restrictive to be almost not worth the effort.

Thanks

Small steps to start, first just Jepps and pubs (AOM, FOM, etc). Then eventually, wifi on the ground for wx. Then wifi inflight for realtime wx. Then wifi to connect aircraft GPS as an input to ipad for moving map. Talk even of someday loading flights start to finish on one ipad, and Bluetooth the data to other ipad.

No timeline for any of this.

Latest resources

Back