• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and IPADS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahh- 600 pages evenly split among 2 manuals- why cant it be that simple again? Fair enough my man

I've had my manuals in iPad format for a while- and I sometimes miss the paper versions- just for that reason-
I also fear we won't have much motivation to keep the pages down

And we've now gone to the multiple book format I still don't have down-
That's where the iPad search is actually pretty nice-

I have been using a class 2 EFB in 121 ops for 6+ years now, so permit me a few observations on the subject.

1. Not having to do revisions is nice, but the down side is you essentially get a new set of manuals every few weeks. All your margin notes, tabs and other crutches are gone. Yes, there are annotation capabilities in PDF files, but you will be getting new files every revision so they won't stay with you. You can make stand alone notes, but after a while you will be using your maybe correct, maybe out of date notes instead of the real manuals. Then come check ride day you won't be able to look something up. Good luck with that.

2. Not having a paper MEL just plain sucks. It takes longer to look up something in a PDF file, and you are more prone to miss important information by scrolling past it. Sure there is a search function, but did you spell generator right this time? Is it fire bell or fire warning? Computers are literal, humans not so much. No reaching for the MEL book accepting a bird and thanking the last guy for tabbing that MEL reference for you with a piece of his dispatch release.

3. Company issued vs personal device: We have bolted on EFBs in the flight deck and the company provides us with the files to put on our own devices for study (and computers in the crew rooms for people "too poor" to buy their own). I like this approach, use the company device while working, have no privacy issues for off duty use.

4. Forget using a tablet GPS in the cockpit. Most consumer GPS units won't work above 100 kts, and very few can get a signal through the windshield heat. I know, I've tried. For some reason the FAA has a real issue with moving map in flight for 121. They barely allow it for taxi.

And a question: To use an EFB in critical phases of flight, it must be secured. How are you going to do this with individual vs ship devices? Knee boards like back in flight school? Is everybody going to use the proper restraint all the time? Somebody is going to forget it on an FAA line check, and guess what will happen! You will be the reason for a company wide memo to not do that again.
all good info except GPS on an ipad works fine all altitudes all speeds window heat be damned , verified.

That product is actually listed as a vendor on the SWA EFB website. Does that mean they're going to get it? I doubt it, but they're at least looking at it. Bad Elf GPS is also listed, FWIW.

That's where I found it, on the venders... I just hope they choose something that is more advanced than just a location device. That looks like a complete inteface to the airplane compared to just an antenna.

In the service of Mr. Conrad Kalitta....We have a fairly logical system:

1) EFB attached to the aircraft at each Pilot/FE station.

2) All electronic manuals issued on disc and at least 2 shipboard computers to use them on.

3) Ships Library of all paper manuals / charts etc.

4) Everyone carries some form of computer (personal property) loaded with manuals or able to play the current disc.

If you have a personal preference as to how and where to get your information and you can't figure it out with all the above options....well, we all knew a kid like that once , didn't we ?

:)

YKW

Last edited:
That's where I found it, on the venders... I just hope they choose something that is more advanced than just a location device. That looks like a complete inteface to the airplane compared to just an antenna.

Ah...gotcha. Yeah it looks like that'd be pretty sweet. Probably pretty spendy I'd guess.

GPS works fine on the ipad...you just have to let it "get oriented" before it figures out where you are. It depends on how far away you are from the last time you fired it up.

The problem with the GPS is that it burns through the battery like it's nobodies business.

Not all Jepp charts work with the moving map. Just the enroute chart and the 10-9's...but not the low-vis.

I hope SWA takes into account the new IPAD will have the new lightning connector.

I doubt they know that the IPad is an Applle product . I would bet they thinks it's a fancy commodore 64. :)

Do not let Rob, down in the office in ATL fool you. He is very apple savvy. He is not the norm at SWA. Take what Rob knows and subtract 30 years. That is what we have in Dallas.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back