• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and AK pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I bit the bullet and bought the A20 and am very happy with it. Same expirience as the other posters with it. I will add that the QC2 is not quite as good if you are an FO. The mic can't be switched to the right side on that set up. As a result you will have the cords across your body all the time. If you have to pull an ear cup back (other guy a non intercom type) the mic will be away from your mouth and not work very well. Even though the A20 is a lot bulkier I really don't notice it once it's on my head.

Either way get something. Once you lose hearing you can't get it back. Our aeromedical guy did some sound samples in the cockpit and found the noise levels to be damaging with repeated exposure.

I bought the QC15/UFM last year. They are awesome and I have not crashed an airplane yet, which is amazing given the fact that I have been wearing the headset. Our FLT OOOPS department only stipulates the head set has to be TSOed. I sent mine in and got the sticker and earbuds.

I have had a fed ask if my headset was TSOed and I showed him the sticker. He was happy.

Will second Trips "endorsement"of the A20 bulky but real quiet!! Think get smart's cone of silence...I can't even hear the engine spool which may take a trip to get used to...I use rechargeable batteries and recharge after every three day...

I swear by my QC2/UFM and carry a cheapo Plantronics in case the Feds show up.

I swear by my QC2/UFM and carry a cheapo Plantronics in case the Feds show up.

Ironic, isn't it? Once you add the "donkey dick" earpiece, those are no longer a TSOed setup. Plus, I've had 4 of those setups fail on me over the years, while my QC2 never failed once. FWIW, I don't think the feds care about the UFM setup, as I had several feds on my jumpseat (before we were aware of the dangers of the QC2!) and none of them even asked about it. Heck, I had one on the jumpseat WITH a QC2 setup right after we banned them (I almost told him he couldn't use it, since they were deemed unsafe, at least in out cockpits). Thank our Flt Ops for the hassle if they start asking about it now......

I've been thinking of going back to the UFM setup, but I think the earbud thing is gonna be a dealbreaker for me.

Last edited:
Just say no to the earbuds.

That's the only reason I won't go back to the ufm...I really want to try that mp3 plug! I really loved the ufm. I am very happy with the aloft also. It's nice not having the headset head. But I'll swear by both of them. You can't go wrong.

Latest resources

Back