SWA and AK pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LandGreen

Hey guys/gals..curious about the type of headsets you use on the 737. Are more guys using Sennheiser ANR or the Telex 850 ANR's? Time to replace my old headset, and get something to help mitigate the 737 noise.

A lot of our guys are switching to the Bose QC2/15 - Uflymike combo. Works good, lasts long time and is an economical combo.

Sennheisers are good, I had a pair. However, the "on the ear" style gets old on long range flights.

Most of the guys who have regional backgrounds held on to the noise cancelling headsets they had in previous lives.

If you can afford $1K the new Bose aviation headset also looks like a winner.

I have the Sennheiser. Noise cancelling works well, but the headset starts to get uncomforatable on my ear on after a couple of hours.

At SW most guys and gals use the Telex 850 that the company gives us,....because....you know....we're pilots (i.e. cheap). They work OKAY at mitigating the noise (compared to not have anything on your ears). If you really want something to cut down on the noise, you gotta spring for the Bose around the ear A20's. Crazy expensive, but they offer payment plans. Plus, it's just your hearing we are talking about. Otherwise, I'd try the Clarity Aloft Pro's. At least they clog the ear canal and block out the noise. The few folks that have them here really seem to like them (Mostly the "I don't like the head clamp crowd").

Happy Shopping!

Cheers!

I wear the clarity aloft pro. I wore the uflymike before swa said they were dangerous :) I will say the aloft is the best headset I've ever owned. I do a lot of long haul and I don't even feel them. It's like wearing a pair of sunglasses. If you like a side tone or to hear yourself talk you wont with this headset. It has a noise canceling mike so it may sound like you aren't transmitting but you are. It works great with the hot mike also... Rumor has it the iPod plug works like a champ and has good sound quality but I wouldn't know that :)

If you really want something to cut down on the noise, you gotta spring for the Bose around the ear A20's. Crazy expensive, but they offer payment plans. Plus, it's just your hearing we are talking about.

The Bose QC-15/Uflymike, I'd argue, is just as good at half the cost.

Better is what I hear- uflymike weighs a 3rd of the A20's and has the bene of using just the headphones on deadheads-

Better is what I hear- uflymike weighs a 3rd of the A20's and has the bene of using just the headphones on deadheads-

I would agree with that! If you do a bit of deadheading/commuting the uflymike/QC combo is hard to beat.

I used and loved the QC2/UFM for several years before I knew just how dangerous it was (thankfully Jeff and Chuck saved me from grievous harm by banning their use!).

I then came to my senses, and bought a $500 Sennheiser HMEC-46, which was a POS in just about every way possible. Little to no noise attenuation, uncomfortable for more than 30 minutes and it died after about 2 years of use. The only good things I can say about that POS is that the battery life was excellent (LEDs don't draw much current, and apparently, the LED was the only thing powered when it was on), and I was able to write the $500 off of my taxes.

I used the company issued Telex for a while, which offers BETTER NA than the HMEC-46 (which isn't saying much), but the audio fidelity was so bad that I had a hard time understanding controllers, especially females. Also, the mic is really noisy on the intercom when using the hot mic, but you won't notice it unless you have a real NA headset. The HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS gets old when the FO has hot mic latched on. The only upside to this thing is that it was free, and is small/lightweight. I never broke mine, but it seems pretty delicate.

I finally relented and bought an A-20, and it is the best headset I've ever used. It's definitely heavier and bulkier than the QC2/15 setup, but the attenuation is better (maybe a little TOO good). I find it just as comfortable as the QC2/15 on long legs. The only downside compared to the UFM setup is size and weight. Battery life (2AAs compared with 1 AAA for the QC2) is pretty good. I get about 2.5 4 day trips out of a set as long as I remember to use the auto off feature.

The QC2/15 setup, as allowed to be used by SW, is a bit of a PITA now. First, you have to send the thing to UFM to be TSOed (a requirement unique to the UFM setup), which consists of Mike putting a few stickers on the thing. Then, to satisfy the TSO, you need to use specific earbuds UNDER the QC2/15, which plug into the AUX port on the UFM. Without meeting these requirements, you can't use them in a SW cockpit. The reason for all this TSO BS is that the QC-2/15 won't pass audio signal with a dead battery, and FLT Ops was deathly afraid that someone would ignore the HOURS of degraded audio flashing power light and incessant clicking when the battery gets low, and miss a radio call. The other reason is that the UFM has an AUX input on it, and you know, someone might be tempted to plug an ipod into it while flying, which would immediately result in a horrific crash, of course. Also, I think someone's relative at the GO works at Bose, and they didn't appreciate Mike cutting into their aviation headset business (they actually brought a lawsuit against him, which was dropped, ignoring the fact that many pilots bought QC2s that they wouldn't have bought otherwise, but I digress).

Overall, the QC2/15 with the UFM is a GREAT solution to the noise problem in a 737, but for our operation requiring the TSOed variant, I think the hassle factor is about a wash between the bulk of the A-20 and the friggin spaghetti wiring required to use the UFM/earbud combo in our cockpits. Just make sure you have a handful of AAA batteries when you go fly.

If you aren't saddled with the TSO nonsense, then the QC2/15 is the clear winner from a price, portability and hassle standpoint.

All IMHO of course.

Oh, and Wave, you can use the A-20 when riding in the back for both NA and music etc. You just have to disable the "auto off" feature that turns off the headset after a while when not plugged into the aircraft.

i bought the bose a20 after the rocket surgeons at swa said the qc2 was unsafe...then they come back and say naawwww, it's ok. :nuts: i loved the qc2 when i was using it, i think the a20 is much quieter but am not sure if because of the overall size it is a good tradeoff.

on long flights i'm glad i have the a20(and supposedly if ya' have music plugged in it's amazing;))if i'm flying to approach the a20 is so quiet that i will uncup one ear to hear the engine noise. i don't remember doing that with the qc2 but it's been a long time since i used it.

i am seriously considering going back to the qc because of the convenience of it's compact size. i'd definitely use the a20 in a small plane over the qc for overall noise reduction.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back