Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and Age65... lets get this straight.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So Flop, Let me get this straight. You are fighting for the guy below you??? The one who hasn't been hired yet??? Are you not fighting somewhat for yourself too??? Just curious. Are you a captain at CAL? I am completely against change in the age rule however it is for my own personal benefit. I am thinking only for myself. Screw the rest of you. When I become a capt I will fight long and hard to change this rule to 55. Please someone save me from myself???????????????????????

Last edited:
Flopgut said:
Another thing: Your comment about CAL and 1983...What's your deal? You like Lorenzo? You like what he did? You think any other pilot group would have faired better with a corporate raider like that? That's a total separate issue, be glad you never had to deal with that sort of thing.

CAL flew in '83 because pilots crossed a picket line, forever changing the landscape of the pilot profession. Had CAL either won that strike or liquidated, the future of the airline pilot would have played out much different. That did not happen and what transposed was the first nuclear bomb on this profession, like it or not. A little Texas airline did not, and does not now dictate the life of the airline pilot, you all do. Just like in '83 you want a scapegoat, and you blame Southwest. If we did dictate the pilot profession you wouldn't be making less than a Southwest pilot today. And yes, Lorenzo SU#KS!!!

canyonblue said:
CAL flew in '83 because pilots crossed a picket line, forever changing the landscape of the pilot profession. Had CAL either won that strike or liquidated, the future of the airline pilot would have played out much different. That did not happen and what transposed was the first nuclear bomb on this profession, like it or not. A little Texas airline did not, and does not now dictate the life of the airline pilot, you all do. Just like in '83 you want a scapegoat, and you blame Southwest. If we did dictate the pilot profession you wouldn't be making less than a Southwest pilot today. And yes, Lorenzo SU#KS!!!

The strike failed because hundreds of Braniff pilots crossed the line. Their lack of gainful employment was occasioned by events surrounding the WA. That's thinking big picture. Ask anybody, if the Braniff pilots weren't out of work, ALPA probably wins the strike.

Here's what I've learned working at CAL: In deperate times (like 83) there's no lack of desparate people. They will do whatever they feel they have to or think they have to. What remains is for good people to try to do the right thing whenever they can. And that's a lot harder than you might think. Additionally, I learned that CAL is basically a startup airline after the second BK. Two things I learned from a TI striker, there is no finer example of an airline pilot.

Bake said:
So Flop, Let me get this straight. You are fighting for the guy below you??? The one who hasn't been hired yet??? Are you not fighting somewhat for yourself too??? Just curious. Are you a captain at CAL? I am completely against change in the age rule however it is for my own personal benefit. I am thinking only for myself. Screw the rest of you. When I become a capt I will fight long and hard to change this rule to 55. Please someone save me from myself???????????????????????

Nobody's got anything until we've all got something. I'm not a captain but I could be. I'm not worried about myself, I'm really not too worried about anybody with a "mainline" (whatever that is these days) job. What I am concerned about is the ones that are washed out of the bottom of this gig and the profession in general. Chewbacca is going to upgrade before some of these guys! And we're going to let guys who already are captains sit there five more years? BS!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back