Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran pilot integration thoughts, what will the new list look like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Put it to a vote of both pilot groups to staple the AirTran guys to the SWA list. It will pass by a large margin. Accept it, move on. Done.

The only fair way to do it is a vote.

Not to dispute the above, but I just wanted to point out that these numbers are based upon our 2001 Contract. With all sections of the new CBA TA'd except for Compensation (and a 98% strike vote) our FO's were (are?) within a few months of having 2010 pay, not 2001 pay.

The "big windfall" that I keep reading about on these boards is not nearly as "big" as some might think, especially for senior AirTran FO's, depending upon how SLI is handled. After all, the 50 deliveries we have on order represents 300 CA upgrades that they have been waiting for, some more patiently than others . . .;)

For a mid-level CA like me, I would be looking at a 20%-25% raise, in exchange for an uncertain seniority, uncertain commute, and an uncertain work environment. Some things are more important than money, and if I lose out on any of the above, it's not worth it to me for some extra pay.

However, whether this goes down, or how it goes down is not up to me, and I will accept it as it happens, just trying to share how it looks from this side of the airport fence. I'm sure there are plenty of guys with quite different perspectives, too, that are equally vaild.

Ty

Hey BEST FRIEND TY,

Hey, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS WATCH. This will be done by arbitrators, and not by SWAPA. They will have lawyers that will try to put up a defense, just like ALPA will be doing for you. Precedence is HUGE when it comes to mergers, and before you even get to the SLI, you will have a new Joint Contract (with equal pay with the SWA pilots). Why? Because Gary Kelly doesn't want to ruin the "SWA Culture", having you guys pizzed. The last merger that DIDN'T go that way (joint contract was FIRST) was the USAir Merger, and how is that going now? Not well.

So, the AT guys will get a huge pay bump (like the FNWA guys did) and benefit bump, and then there will be an SLI done by arbitrators (no more staples thanks to Bond/McCaskil). You guys don't have to negotiate with SWAPA, just say "let the arbitrators do it." That will make some SWA pilots angry, but this is SENIORITY, and it will stick with you until you retire. Don't accept lower pay or a B-Scale, that would diminish what YOU BRING TO THE MERGER, which is A LOT. Ride this whole thing like a wave BABY!!! You likely won't be kicked out of ATL (most SWA families are established now somewhere else, although some may move), and with a relative seniority type SLI (except for the top 200 or so probably which could be all SWA) which is VERY LIKELY, you will most likely retain your seat. Just because the SWA FOs don't like it much or don't see a large pay raise in their future, along with a longer upgrade, DOESN'T MEAN YOU ALL CAN'T BE SUPER SWELL TO EACHOTHER, AND LOVE THE CULTURE YOU BOTH WILL HAVE. AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!! LOVE IT! No, LUV IT!

Regardless, you all are FANTASTIC. SERIOUSLY, YOU GUYS ARE NOT CHUMPS, BUT RATHER STUDS! And, if you have time today, try to do something nice for someone, like acting as a crossing guard when a row of ducks come walking across a busy highway. Just go out there and wave your arms in the middle of the lanes. I bet most of those large trucks will slow down. See ya!

Bye Bye--General Lee

They make a big deal about growth in their ancillary revenues in all their Wall Street presentations, but from the looks of it its been flat at $65 million or so for over a year.

Look at the Operating Profit, Chief, not what they did with the numbers afterward. AirTran had its largest operating profit ever in 2009, and 2010 is similar as well. They chose to take some of that profit and pay down debt, yet increased our cash on hand to $500 million, which is the highest it's ever been.

Airtran may be out of money, gas and ideas. So much for the 50 airplanes they planned to grow with. .
This may make you feel good to think so, but it is at odds with reality. AirTran is making more than ever before, and hiring an adding another 10% to its pilot ranks.

Thanks, General . . . . if you see a baby in a stroller on the Concourse, give it a piece of candy, and give its mama a nice pat on the rump. ;)

New mothers need to feel attractive while the baby weight comes off!

Last edited:
Here is a quote from Gary Kelly:

"Southwest CEO Gary Kelly gave three reasons: 1) The financial health of the company, 2) there is little or no organic growth left with Southwest's route system, and 3) the right leadership team is in place."

Prior to the acquisition announcement, SWA was out of ideas regarding growth in its existing route structure. I suspected as much for awhile due to your flat to negative growth for the year. The above quote by your CEO confirms this. No growth means your huge cash cushion will slowly disappear as your costs continue to rise. Weather you want to admit it or not, Southwest needs what we have. This will be great for both companies and I am looking forward to the future possibilities.

Your CEO also stated that too. AT can't grow organnicaly. I have to find it. I think it was on FI in regards to The cowboy/falcon deal. Who cares, together we both will kick azzzzz.

It was in one of the original press releases, he was talking about trying to grow in ATL. VERY tough to do, we've actually been shrinking ATL because Delta still insists on pricing the product BELOW the cost to produce it just to try to "compete" with us.

It's why we re-focused in MKE and near-international out of MCO and those markets are growing like gangbusters. It's also why we were growing our pilot base by 10+% in the next 6 months and have opened two new bases. So yes, our "organic" growth was going just fine and quite profitably.

Your CEO also stated that too. AT can't grow organnicaly. I have to find it. I think it was on FI in regards to The cowboy/falcon deal. Who cares, together we both will kick azzzzz.

That may be true although I have never heard or read about it. My point in posting Gary Kelly's quote was to illustrate that according to your CEO and contrary to a few of your pilots, AirTran does offer some great benefits to the growth strategy of Southwest. Growth means hiring and UPGRADES to SWA FOs who might have stagnated if SWA remained solo. I believe we will both be stronger companies as a result and I am looking froward to working for your great airline.

I just love it when the 5%ers start acting like they have a clue about executive level financials and somehow attempt to correlate that to the SLI- you guys are all clearly bored --- except this time- you're drama CAN and HAS snowballed into major conflict at other carriers... So if you really think your opinion about airline financials and Sli's etc upon etc is worth that... Keep it up- I'll be here still calling you 1/2 nerds 1/2 retarded and beating the "don't end up like Airways" drum.

General Lee has it 100% right.
(enjoy that Gen)

Let it go to arbitration- enjoy your hobbies and make it a goal to have sex 2 more times a week than you do now.

Do that and this is ALL good for everyone

enjoy your hobbies and make it a goal to have sex 2 more times a week than you do now.

Do that and this is ALL good for everyone
So sex twice more a week than we get now is somehow related to the merger?

I've seen a few attractive (and young enough) F/A's at both companies, but you sure are volunteering their services quite a bit outside of their "normal duties" here... ;)

I was talking about your wife or gf's-

But I think we got a few Airline Lysistrata's that could take care of you!

Haha- alcohol and *************************= great culture- ;-)

Latest resources

Back