SWA-AAI: Acquisition or Merger??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your bias is showing.

These threads aren't being "merged". One thread is acquiring the other. Clearly the only logical to order the posts is for the acquiring thread's posts to be first, otherwise the conversation is muddled and confused.

It is unfair to the dominant thread.

Last edited:
Folks, we do the best we can with the tools we have to use on this web site.. I know in the past we have all asked the members to please avoid starting new threads on the same topic because of this very problem when threads are merged.. they can get confusing.. because the system just merges them where it thinks they belong..

This is why it's important to keep threads on topic and only post in that thread... the only other alternative is to delete the thread entirely an we hate to do that... or leave it alone an then you all complain about too many threads on the same issue...

You see, the mods are in a constant postion of making adjustments to try and keep FI as organized and clean as possible... in any case we tick off someone... But for some to accuse us of bias, or playing games, or anything off-color is just plain silly and it becomes offensive if that point is pushed to the limit of personal attacks..

How many times are you going to let someone push you around with a smile on your face, before you push back... everyone has their limits.. and when someone obviously has ill intentions from the start and a track record of doing so before just to cause trouble.. well I hope you all get the picture from our perspective as mods...

That's all I have to say about this matter....

Last edited:
Lear, my comment wasn't directed at you because you have stayed clear of moderating these threads. Which I thought was a good idea from the very beginning.
Yeah, you guys were right about that for sure, thanks again for the nudges on that. :beer:

Who said I was a good mod...
Good! At least I can agree on 1 thing with you.

threads that get out of control like this one, usually do end up with a mod being the end of the story...
Usually because the "mod" ends up getting, EMOTIONALLY involved.

peace out lets move on with the thread...

Then let it be.

I heard it was an aquisition.

According to side letter 8, "aquire" and "aquisition" are both only mentioned once and both are in reference to AirTran stock on page 1. The rest of the document (which was agreed to between SWAPA and WN with no input from ALPA or FL and lays out the protections for SWAPA during the merger process), uses the term merger. I would say that SWAPA and WN are in agreement that this is a merger. If that were not so, and SWAPA had the power to persuade GK, I believe they'd have used the terms "aquire" or "aquisition" throughout the document. Instead there are four definitions including "merger" and none including "aquisition".

The SEC filings utilizes the word "merger" a vast majority of the time and only uses "acquisition" a few times. There is almost always an acquirer and an acquiree in every merger. Some companies have chosen to not merge operations and others have chose to. In this case SWA management has chosen to merge the operations and integrate the employees. Hense merging operatons of a successful airline like Airtran will yield over $400 million/year of revenue synergies. Im not too worried, I think that the combined airline will be a kick azz airline. I also think that after the smoke clears, even the SW pilots will be happy that Airtran was bought. Lots of rumors of lots of growth....which is good for all.

Hey clr4-
I think the last posts about bias were joking...
SLI humor, you know

Thats fine, I was just explaining what happens when we merge posts.. it get messy and we really don't like to do it.. but sometimes it is just the timg to do to keep the common questions together.. it happens all the time on the regionals.. but its getting better..

Sorry I had to lay the hammer down earlier, but some people just like to keep the blue water stirred up.. an we really work alot of hours to keep thing running well behind the blue curtain... so when a mod gest attacked, it does get somewhat personal, especially of we are accused of some mis-deed.. it does not go down well.. and all the mods come running to the defence..

Thanks for the FYI

Clr 4

Latest resources

Back