• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny how someone(DELTA) is offering early out retirements amid capacity cuts while someone else (SWA) is actively hiring.

Jealousy will get you nowhere. (our app window will open soon not to worry)

I'm not worried as your relative seniority will make you even more junior to Air tran pilots that didn't have to buy their jobs.

Gonna have to differ with you roughneck:

There were 2 periods that SWA operated 727s. Though called the "3 little pigs", I don't believe we ever flew 3 727 concurrently.

From '79-'80, SWA leased a single 727 from Braniff (N406BN). This was part of a legal settlement. Really torqued my (then future) Braniff Flying Father-In-Law (he got over it).

The other 2 were leased from PEOPLExpress (sp?) from '83-'85. PEOPLExpress (People Express wholly owned Frontier) was/were acquired by Texas Air Group (Continental) during People's bankruptcy.

At least I think is how it went down.

Right you are. It was P/E (Continental in the years to come). We did fly 3 or 4 at one time. Didn't last long but the guys who flew them still yell out "check essential!" while sleeping. Good times!

"Did you know that there were two times in the history of Southwest Airlines where the company had aircraft other than the 737? In 1979-80 Southwest operated one Boeing 727 on lease from Braniff as part of an anti-trust settlement.

They gave the 727 program another run from 1983-1985 using aircraft leased from PeoplExpress. They leased up to 6 aircraft during that period."

Many of our “more serious” Southwest Fans know that, while Southwest currently only operates 737s, we have flown another aircraft type in the past—the Boeing 727 to be specific.***** The first time was a shortterm lease for one 727 from Braniff that was operated from March 5, 1979, until January 10 of the next year.***** This aircraft flew back and forth between Dallas and Houston.***** The second time was from September 1983*****to December 1985 when six 727s were leased from People Express to begin our service to California,***** This was also a shortterm measure*****until we could get a sufficient number of 737s to operate these routes.***** Incidentally, the 1979 aircraft had a unique “one-off” livery, but the later 727 "sextuplets" all had the same variation of our standard color scheme.
While there are a fair number of SWA 727 photos “out there,” I have yet to see either interior or shots taken on the ramp*****of Southwest 727s.***** While uncovering some archives recently, we found 35 mm slides which apparently were used to train our Ramp Employees on the differences between the 727 and 737.***** (We’ve also uncovered some other archive gems that we will be featuring here at Nuts About Southwest from time-to-time.)***** While the quality of the slides isn’t the best, their rarity makes them interesting, and we wanted to share with you since Thursday is our 38th Anniversary.***** These are the first photos I have seen showing our 727 interiors and ramp action shots.

The aircraft above is N551PE, and it was originally delivered to Braniff.***** Eagle eyes will notice the tail of a second 727 still wearing the People Express colors just behind it.***** My guess is that this was photographed at Houston Hobby, due to the amount of SWA ground vehicles. (If anyone can confirm/refute the location, please let me know.)

Three rows of engine instruments, throttles, and fire-warning lights immediately give away this view as a727 cockpit.

727s also had three Crew Members in the Cockpit.***** This is a view of the Flight Engineer’s panel, and we used specially trained Mechanics to fly as Engineers.***** (Note the two stripes on his shoulder.)***** Many of these Mechanics went on to complete flight training and are now flying as Southwest Captains.

At the back of the aircraft there was a lot of weight with three engines all mounted on the aft fuselage and the huge tail surfaces*****with the "T-tail" extended well beyong the end of the fuselage*****.***** The ventral stairway not only served as an entrance door at airports without jetbridges, it was a tail support to keep the nose on the ground in case too much weight was loaded in the rear cargo bins before a balancing weight was loaded into the forward areas.*****The door was opened with a handle under the bottom of the fuselage.

Since the aft door marked the end of the pressurized portion of the fuselage, heavy duty curtains hid the framing of the aircraft from view in the aft entry area.

Inside the cabin, there were aft galley servicing doors (that had full-sized windows) just in front of the engines.***** It took careful maneuvering to get a Provisioning lift truck up to these doors.

Seats ran along the side of the aft galley all the way back to the aft lavatories.***** (Unfortunately, the picture quality isn’t very good, but it does offer a rare view of the cabin.)

Equally rare is this (again, poor) view of the entire cabin.

Unlike the 737’s bin doors that open inward, the 727’s doors opened outwardly, and they were held open by utilizing a strut.

Next we see the water panel for the 727, and this is where the drinking water was added.

Finally, our little gallery of 727 views closes with the lavatory servicing panel for the forward lavatory.
As someone who worked many an hour on the ramp with 727s and who lost a lot of sweat and a little blood, writing this post brings back a lot or memories.***** I've had the chance to speak with some of our former 727 Pilots and they hold this aircraft in great regard.*****
http://prsync.com/southwest-airlines/a-rare-view-of-southwests--operations-6692/

Last edited:
"Kelly, on whether Southwest would buy some airplane other than the Boeing 737 if Boeing doesn't replace the current models with a more fuel-efficient version as Southwest has urged:

"It depends. If they told us that we're not going to see a more fuel efficient 737 for another 20 years, that probably would cause us to do something. So we love the 737. We'd love for it to be more fuel efficient."
Kelly, on whether Southwest can handle more than one fleet type:

"We are gaining a second fleet type of course with the Boeing 717 with the AirTran acquisition. ... At some point we'll have a different airplane. In other words, if Boeing comes forward with a replacement aircraft, it's hard for us to fathom that it will be a 737-type rating. We have gotten our minds wrapped around the reality that at some point we will likely have another fleet type.
"So I think that's the fundamental question that you're asking is, are we up for that? And the answer is I think really answered by the AirTran acquisition is that yeah, we think we can manage multiple fleet types. We don't want 10, but two or three I think we will be gearing ourselves up for that reality at some point."

Kelly, on whether Southwest might want to fly "red eyes," late-night flights, as AirTran Airways does:

"That's something that I wouldn't dismiss out of hand. There are operational challenges for us with the way we crew, with the way we maintain, with our current reservation system as a practical matter, but that's something that I think we'll want to continue to look at, because we do have a goal of increasing our aircraft utilization, and that might very well prove to be an option for us.
"My view and I think our team's view has typically been that that's very low-yield business, and in a $90 crude oil environment, it just doesn't work. But we'll certainly challenge that paradigm.""
Somewhat related info

Last edited:
FWIW (some may call it a form of PFT) - when I was hired at AT back in March 2001 the offer came with a 2 year 24K training contract (overnighted to my address via fedex along with other pre employment forms/info).

Holy Cow! Do you still have any recall rights to AAI??? I hope so for your sake

That sounds like ATA?

Latest resources

Back